Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00

  • leedarshi
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
      Well, Gino, I have to disagree with you. Hate seems to be extreme. I can
      understand someone feeling that the idea is not a good one. What I
      think is interesting is the letter from Theresa that tells of the
      Railroad Laws of 1850 and the reversionary rights. People do have rights
      and if the info Theresa found is as she described it, then that would be
      a way for land owners along the way to make their voice heard.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
        Yeah I guess so! Hate is a little extreme. I meant, he really
        doesn't like the rail-trail!

        Gino

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
          There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
          trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
          was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
          private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
          which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
          I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
          not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
          (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
          never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
          obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
          through your "back yard".

          NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
          property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
          the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.

          Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.

          In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
          VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
          land for the bike path was sustained in court.

          In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
          some nice ones.

          PKL

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • leedarshi
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
            What does NIMBY mean?

            > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
            > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you
            enjoy
            > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
              Here's something I've always wondered about the FJG abandonment. Does
              abandonment mean that the rail carrier just leaves their railroad
              behind with no compensation or did the county buy the right of way?
              What did the DO get out of abandoning the FJG?

              Gino

              > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
              > Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:42:44 EDT
              > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
              >

              > There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
              > trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
              > was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
              > private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
              > which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
              > I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
              > not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
              > (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
              > never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
              > obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
              > through your "back yard".
              >
              > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
              > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
              > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
              >
              > Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.
              >
              > In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
              > VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
              > land for the bike path was sustained in court.
              >
              > In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
              > some nice ones.
              >
              > PKL
            • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000