Waterfall in Cayadutta Park

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
      --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <GDICARLO@Q...> wrote:
      > That waterfall you mention Randy is beautiful! I believe it was a
      > main attraction at Cayadutta Park. It looks just as good now as it
      > does in old postcards. Does anyone know what creek that is?
      > Someone asked me before if it's the Cayadutta, but the Cayadutta is
      > near the Steam line...
      >
      > Gino

      The water feeding the waterfall comes from 3 separate creeks, maybe
      more, that I can account for on my topo maps. There are no names
      given them on my copies. The combined creek enters the Cayadutta
      south of the Berryville trestle.

      Glenn
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
        NO Gino this waterfall is not the same one the one in the shots is from one
        of the tributaries the name is on the maps but I can't remember it?? the
        falls I am speaking of is quite wide and not very high and it is the
        Cayadutta Creek itself reminants of the old Plant are still there and I
        have several photo's of it in it's heyday but I have not researched it to
        any degree I believe Bob Bedford wrote some articles for the Leader in the
        past about this Hydro Plant the Cayadutta Park falls is on the stream that
        crosses rt. 30a by the Legion Hall one of the stone bridges is still visible
        just to the west of rt. 30a as you cross this poing up on the hill out of
        Fonda. I have yet to explore the Cayadutta Park area in any depth perhaps
        this would be a fun trip for some of us one of these weekends ????

        > That waterfall you mention Randy is beautiful! I believe it was a main
        > attraction at Cayadutta Park. It looks just as good now as it does in
        > old postcards. Does anyone know what creek that is? Someone asked me
        > before if it's the Cayadutta, but the Cayadutta is near the Steam line...

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
          The trip from Fonda up to Route 30 through the woods is beautifull.
          There are still ties left from the cayadutta electric! the right of way
          is very easy to trace. There is also a stone whistle post right near Fonda.
          I walked it about 15 years ago and it was great!

          Gino

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
            The line north on Market St. paralleled the Steam line to the Steam station
            on West Fulton St. etc. This is a later line. The line on Miller St. was
            built during the Cayadutta time as it didn't have to cross the steam line
            and could serve J'town. The Cayadutta as originally built didn't go into J.
            This was just a bit later than the original construction. Would have to
            dig some to give more details. They will be out eventually; am getting
            there. I believe you could access the back line using the same crossovers
            that existed when we remember between Hill and S. Main St., but the
            interurbans went the way described to keep that portion of the route current
            of traffic. Local traffic was on the JG&K, which maintained a separate
            existence till shortly after the FJ&G decided to abandon local trolley
            service. The JG&K tracks were utilized in J until the Schenectady extension
            when the north Market St. and parallel tracks were installed.

            Hillside Park was served only one way. If you were going from J'town to
            Hillside Park you had to go to G'ville and get a transfer to get to HP on
            the next southbound car.

            The local line went across Main St. in J'town to William St. then south a
            couple blocks.

            The back line south of Miller was in place into the thirties, but rarely
            used after they stopped hauling coal and freight. I'll get it all together
            later. In the first years of operation occasionally a car of freight was
            hauled by the trolley engine from Ft. Johnson to Starr's Mill or
            Parkhurst's. I don't imagine this lasted too long but there are records of
            the freight moves. Methinks the earliest freight moves were done by steam,
            either No. 5 (the 2-6-0) or one of the Forneys. THere are a couple of
            references. There was some friction between the city and the railroad over
            this track, that on Market St. and South William St. This is off the top of
            my head and it's late but the city wanted the unused back line torn up in
            order to complete Knox Field. The railroad wanted some concessions in the
            street track. Details to follow.

            PKL

            >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Single Track vs. Double Track on Electric
            >Division
            >Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 02:48:13 -0000
            >
            >According to the Johnstown map I have from Trolleys Down the Mohawk
            >Valley, the main line came off Miller St. and paralled the steam div.
            >track until Market St. where it diverged. The line on Perry St. is
            >marked as the local line. I never realized that cars going south on
            >Main in Gloversville could only get to the "back line" by turning at
            >River St. and passing through the trolley yard. In ICC 1928 pix #119
            >which is a photo of the yard office, there is a track which passes
            >between the office and the barn which must have been the south bound
            >main line. This track appears to be well maintained in the picture.
            >Also, what happened to the back line south of Miller St. When was
            >that abandoned and when did the substation near Prindle Ave go off
            >line?
            >
            >Saul

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Glenn Williams
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
              --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
              > The line was single track from just west of Fort Johnson to the
              > split at Division and Main on the west end of Amsterdam.
              > [snip]

              Paul,

              A belated follow-up to your response. First off, thanks for the
              information on how the interurbans wended their way to and fro in
              Johnstown and Gloversville; you answered the question before I asked
              it.

              As for the section through Fort Johnson being single track, I'm not
              sure about that. Gino has two pictures in his web pages showing
              double track. In his Brill-Bullets [sic] section, 125 is shown
              eastbound near the Amsterdam line, "just passing the State Road
              Crossing" on double track. In his Trolleys section, he has the meet
              between 60 and 125 "near Fort Johnson," actually at the west end,
              again on double track. [BTW, Gino, this is a Bob Bedford shot, for I
              have a print from the original negative which Bob lent me] I've
              gone over the 1928 ICC shots, too, but nothing is terribly definitive
              to refer to. Before Route 5 was rebuilt and relocated in Fort
              Johnson, it was easy to see and walk the old roadbed; it seemed to me
              at the time that it was all double track under the high tension wire
              towers.

              Would any of the local Sanborn maps indicate more clearly what
              trackage was where? Some of the real estate valuation maps in
              Westchester were valuable to me in researching the New York,
              Westchester & Boston back in the late 50s when I was doing real
              estate title work.

              Somewhere in my files I have a sketch (not to scale) of the trackage
              from Sulphur Springs Jct. to where the Back Line split off. When I
              locate it, I'll scan it and send it along.

              Glenn
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                Glenn, I'll upload three attachment to the files under title Akin. I
                couldn't attach them here account to latge to be sent???? These should
                answer some of your questions. I don't believe this section was ever double
                tracked, certainly there is no indication it was and plenty of opposition
                from the locals.

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                  Hi Paul,

                  e-Groups doesn't allow attachments with messages, not sure how Gino is doing it, I think he is going to the web
                  site and sending them from there. Moderator's privilege I guess!

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                    Well there was enough room to get the track plan in (also shows the track
                    between Sulphur Springs and Johnstown) and the cover of the rules for that
                    single track section. Unfortunately the rules themselves will have to wait
                    for more space.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                      Hi Paul,

                      Just have to wait and see what Gino wants to do. I think we could open a second FJ&G group
                      to get another 20 Mb, and if so, I will move all the magazine articles over there and free
                      up 5 Mb or so here. That way all the ICC stuff can stay in one place. Glenn has offered
                      to open a site through his ISP, but that maxs out at 10 meg, and scanning full pages can
                      take up a lot of space fast. If you want to get the file up tonight, I'll go in and remove
                      a two or three page article that I just posted. That should free up about 0.7 meg.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                        Paul, Thank you, but that won't be necessary. It was merely some material
                        I had squirrelled away that would add insight one of the several questions
                        we have about the line. What was able to be received will answer the
                        question. There will always be a later day, besides if too much goes in
                        there won't be a need for the book. (Still a ways off, time never enough
                        time)

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                          Hi Paul,

                          Starting to think there is enough material for 'The FJ&G on CD'! Would be nice as a back up
                          someday.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 26, 2000
                            --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                            > Glenn, I'll upload three attachment to the files under title Akin.

                            > I couldn't attach them here account to latge to be sent???? These
                            > should answer some of your questions. I don't believe this section
                            > was ever double tracked, certainly there is no indication it was
                            > and plenty of opposition from the locals.
                            >
                            > PKL

                            Paul,

                            Those track maps are truly fascinating.

                            The detailed one for Akin appears to have been done at the time of
                            construction, showing the then-current Mohawk Turnpike (Route 5) and
                            the proposed relocation. I noted that J. Ledlie Hees was shown on
                            one of the plots, along with a member of the Akin family. The
                            smaller Akin map, showing from the Tribes Hill trestle to Akin,
                            answered several questions about trackage around the power plant.

                            The Sulphur Springs Jct map also answered questions over how Fonda
                            cars made their way to and fro. It's not terribly obvious, but just
                            north of the junction is a crossover from the eastbound (southbound)
                            main to the westbound (northbound) main. There may have been
                            another, from westbound to eastbound, but I wonder if there would
                            have been a need for that one other than emergencies.

                            Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to clear things up for
                            me. I appreciate the effort.

                            Glenn
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 26, 2000
                              I'll put up the rules to finish out that folder tonight.

                              PKL