Re: [FJGRailroad] Single Track vs. Double Track on Electric Division

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 8, 2000
      The line was single track from just west of Fort Johnson to the split at
      Division and Main on the west end of Amsterdam. In the thirties, can't
      remember the date off the top of my head, the track on Main street in
      Amsterdam, between Market St. and the east end where it left route 5, was
      single tracked with turnouts installed. The stretch between Sulphur Springs
      Jct and downtown Johnstown was also a single track portion. All interurban
      service betrween J ang G was operated north or west on Market and along the
      steam div to the steam depot then up to the Four Corners. Eastward the cars
      went south on Main to River around the car barn then over the back line to
      Miller St. then east or south along Perry St to Main then south as single
      track along Market St. to Sulphur Springs Jct.

      The tracks from the west end of the Mohawk River Bridge into Schenectady
      were not FJ&G.

      Block signals were used on the single track Interurban, outside city limits
      and the Fonda line.

      PKL

      >From: "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Single Track vs. Double Track on Electric Division
      >Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:53:17 -0000
      >
      >Okay, folks, here's one for us to ponder over the weekend:
      >
      >What part of the Electric Division between Sulphur Springs Junction
      >and Scotia (discounting Amsterdam city trackage) was single track?
      >
      >I had always thought, based on what I had heard and read, that it was
      >double-tracked end to end, mainly as a reaction to the Mountain Lakes
      >accident. Then I heard there were short sections that were single
      >track.
      >
      >So, I thought I'd throw it out for us all to chew on for a while.
      >
      > Glenn

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Saul Kalbfeld
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 8, 2000
        According to the Johnstown map I have from Trolleys Down the Mohawk
        Valley, the main line came off Miller St. and paralled the steam div.
        track until Market St. where it diverged. The line on Perry St. is
        marked as the local line. I never realized that cars going south on
        Main in Gloversville could only get to the "back line" by turning at
        River St. and passing through the trolley yard. In ICC 1928 pix #119
        which is a photo of the yard office, there is a track which passes
        between the office and the barn which must have been the south bound
        main line. This track appears to be well maintained in the picture.
        Also, what happened to the back line south of Miller St. When was
        that abandoned and when did the substation near Prindle Ave go off
        line?

        Saul
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
          Speaking of that substation in Johnstown, what was that used for? Also,
          is that building still there? I believe Bob Bedford (Who lived around
          the corner from there) told me that the former Sears building on 30a was
          where the substation. The building that Sears used to be in looks pretty
          old and I always thought it could be the same as the substation...

          Gino
        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
            It is Gino, Used to be the original power for the Cayadutta Electric RR
            before conversion to a substation for the big plant in Tribes Hill?? Before
            the Cayadutta put this in they were looking at obtaining power from the
            hydroelectric station that had been built on the creek right where the
            Walmart distribution center is now! there is a small waterfalls down there
            and this is the source of the lighting for the city of Johnstown in there
            earliest years. Don't know all the details but they just did not have
            enough amperage & or voltage and the cost to upgrade was to much?? so this
            plan was abandoned and the plant was built in Johnstown

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
              That waterfall you mention Randy is beautiful! I believe it was a main
              attraction at Cayadutta Park. It looks just as good now as it does in
              old postcards. Does anyone know what creek that is? Someone asked me
              before if it's the Cayadutta, but the Cayadutta is near the Steam line...

              Gino
            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
                --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Dicarlo, Gino" <GDICARLO@Q...> wrote:
                > That waterfall you mention Randy is beautiful! I believe it was a
                > main attraction at Cayadutta Park. It looks just as good now as it
                > does in old postcards. Does anyone know what creek that is?
                > Someone asked me before if it's the Cayadutta, but the Cayadutta is
                > near the Steam line...
                >
                > Gino

                The water feeding the waterfall comes from 3 separate creeks, maybe
                more, that I can account for on my topo maps. There are no names
                given them on my copies. The combined creek enters the Cayadutta
                south of the Berryville trestle.

                Glenn
              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
                  NO Gino this waterfall is not the same one the one in the shots is from one
                  of the tributaries the name is on the maps but I can't remember it?? the
                  falls I am speaking of is quite wide and not very high and it is the
                  Cayadutta Creek itself reminants of the old Plant are still there and I
                  have several photo's of it in it's heyday but I have not researched it to
                  any degree I believe Bob Bedford wrote some articles for the Leader in the
                  past about this Hydro Plant the Cayadutta Park falls is on the stream that
                  crosses rt. 30a by the Legion Hall one of the stone bridges is still visible
                  just to the west of rt. 30a as you cross this poing up on the hill out of
                  Fonda. I have yet to explore the Cayadutta Park area in any depth perhaps
                  this would be a fun trip for some of us one of these weekends ????

                  > That waterfall you mention Randy is beautiful! I believe it was a main
                  > attraction at Cayadutta Park. It looks just as good now as it does in
                  > old postcards. Does anyone know what creek that is? Someone asked me
                  > before if it's the Cayadutta, but the Cayadutta is near the Steam line...

                  http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
                    The trip from Fonda up to Route 30 through the woods is beautifull.
                    There are still ties left from the cayadutta electric! the right of way
                    is very easy to trace. There is also a stone whistle post right near Fonda.
                    I walked it about 15 years ago and it was great!

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 9, 2000
                      The line north on Market St. paralleled the Steam line to the Steam station
                      on West Fulton St. etc. This is a later line. The line on Miller St. was
                      built during the Cayadutta time as it didn't have to cross the steam line
                      and could serve J'town. The Cayadutta as originally built didn't go into J.
                      This was just a bit later than the original construction. Would have to
                      dig some to give more details. They will be out eventually; am getting
                      there. I believe you could access the back line using the same crossovers
                      that existed when we remember between Hill and S. Main St., but the
                      interurbans went the way described to keep that portion of the route current
                      of traffic. Local traffic was on the JG&K, which maintained a separate
                      existence till shortly after the FJ&G decided to abandon local trolley
                      service. The JG&K tracks were utilized in J until the Schenectady extension
                      when the north Market St. and parallel tracks were installed.

                      Hillside Park was served only one way. If you were going from J'town to
                      Hillside Park you had to go to G'ville and get a transfer to get to HP on
                      the next southbound car.

                      The local line went across Main St. in J'town to William St. then south a
                      couple blocks.

                      The back line south of Miller was in place into the thirties, but rarely
                      used after they stopped hauling coal and freight. I'll get it all together
                      later. In the first years of operation occasionally a car of freight was
                      hauled by the trolley engine from Ft. Johnson to Starr's Mill or
                      Parkhurst's. I don't imagine this lasted too long but there are records of
                      the freight moves. Methinks the earliest freight moves were done by steam,
                      either No. 5 (the 2-6-0) or one of the Forneys. THere are a couple of
                      references. There was some friction between the city and the railroad over
                      this track, that on Market St. and South William St. This is off the top of
                      my head and it's late but the city wanted the unused back line torn up in
                      order to complete Knox Field. The railroad wanted some concessions in the
                      street track. Details to follow.

                      PKL

                      >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
                      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Single Track vs. Double Track on Electric
                      >Division
                      >Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 02:48:13 -0000
                      >
                      >According to the Johnstown map I have from Trolleys Down the Mohawk
                      >Valley, the main line came off Miller St. and paralled the steam div.
                      >track until Market St. where it diverged. The line on Perry St. is
                      >marked as the local line. I never realized that cars going south on
                      >Main in Gloversville could only get to the "back line" by turning at
                      >River St. and passing through the trolley yard. In ICC 1928 pix #119
                      >which is a photo of the yard office, there is a track which passes
                      >between the office and the barn which must have been the south bound
                      >main line. This track appears to be well maintained in the picture.
                      >Also, what happened to the back line south of Miller St. When was
                      >that abandoned and when did the substation near Prindle Ave go off
                      >line?
                      >
                      >Saul

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • Glenn Williams
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                        --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                        > The line was single track from just west of Fort Johnson to the
                        > split at Division and Main on the west end of Amsterdam.
                        > [snip]

                        Paul,

                        A belated follow-up to your response. First off, thanks for the
                        information on how the interurbans wended their way to and fro in
                        Johnstown and Gloversville; you answered the question before I asked
                        it.

                        As for the section through Fort Johnson being single track, I'm not
                        sure about that. Gino has two pictures in his web pages showing
                        double track. In his Brill-Bullets [sic] section, 125 is shown
                        eastbound near the Amsterdam line, "just passing the State Road
                        Crossing" on double track. In his Trolleys section, he has the meet
                        between 60 and 125 "near Fort Johnson," actually at the west end,
                        again on double track. [BTW, Gino, this is a Bob Bedford shot, for I
                        have a print from the original negative which Bob lent me] I've
                        gone over the 1928 ICC shots, too, but nothing is terribly definitive
                        to refer to. Before Route 5 was rebuilt and relocated in Fort
                        Johnson, it was easy to see and walk the old roadbed; it seemed to me
                        at the time that it was all double track under the high tension wire
                        towers.

                        Would any of the local Sanborn maps indicate more clearly what
                        trackage was where? Some of the real estate valuation maps in
                        Westchester were valuable to me in researching the New York,
                        Westchester & Boston back in the late 50s when I was doing real
                        estate title work.

                        Somewhere in my files I have a sketch (not to scale) of the trackage
                        from Sulphur Springs Jct. to where the Back Line split off. When I
                        locate it, I'll scan it and send it along.

                        Glenn
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                          Glenn, I'll upload three attachment to the files under title Akin. I
                          couldn't attach them here account to latge to be sent???? These should
                          answer some of your questions. I don't believe this section was ever double
                          tracked, certainly there is no indication it was and plenty of opposition
                          from the locals.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                            Hi Paul,

                            e-Groups doesn't allow attachments with messages, not sure how Gino is doing it, I think he is going to the web
                            site and sending them from there. Moderator's privilege I guess!

                            Paul :-)

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                              Well there was enough room to get the track plan in (also shows the track
                              between Sulphur Springs and Johnstown) and the cover of the rules for that
                              single track section. Unfortunately the rules themselves will have to wait
                              for more space.

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                                Hi Paul,

                                Just have to wait and see what Gino wants to do. I think we could open a second FJ&G group
                                to get another 20 Mb, and if so, I will move all the magazine articles over there and free
                                up 5 Mb or so here. That way all the ICC stuff can stay in one place. Glenn has offered
                                to open a site through his ISP, but that maxs out at 10 meg, and scanning full pages can
                                take up a lot of space fast. If you want to get the file up tonight, I'll go in and remove
                                a two or three page article that I just posted. That should free up about 0.7 meg.

                                Paul

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                                  Paul, Thank you, but that won't be necessary. It was merely some material
                                  I had squirrelled away that would add insight one of the several questions
                                  we have about the line. What was able to be received will answer the
                                  question. There will always be a later day, besides if too much goes in
                                  there won't be a need for the book. (Still a ways off, time never enough
                                  time)

                                  PKL

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 25, 2000
                                    Hi Paul,

                                    Starting to think there is enough material for 'The FJ&G on CD'! Would be nice as a back up
                                    someday.

                                    Paul

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 26, 2000
                                      --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                                      > Glenn, I'll upload three attachment to the files under title Akin.

                                      > I couldn't attach them here account to latge to be sent???? These
                                      > should answer some of your questions. I don't believe this section
                                      > was ever double tracked, certainly there is no indication it was
                                      > and plenty of opposition from the locals.
                                      >
                                      > PKL

                                      Paul,

                                      Those track maps are truly fascinating.

                                      The detailed one for Akin appears to have been done at the time of
                                      construction, showing the then-current Mohawk Turnpike (Route 5) and
                                      the proposed relocation. I noted that J. Ledlie Hees was shown on
                                      one of the plots, along with a member of the Akin family. The
                                      smaller Akin map, showing from the Tribes Hill trestle to Akin,
                                      answered several questions about trackage around the power plant.

                                      The Sulphur Springs Jct map also answered questions over how Fonda
                                      cars made their way to and fro. It's not terribly obvious, but just
                                      north of the junction is a crossover from the eastbound (southbound)
                                      main to the westbound (northbound) main. There may have been
                                      another, from westbound to eastbound, but I wonder if there would
                                      have been a need for that one other than emergencies.

                                      Again, thanks for taking the time and effort to clear things up for
                                      me. I appreciate the effort.

                                      Glenn
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 26, 2000
                                        I'll put up the rules to finish out that folder tonight.