Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2000
      Rail Trail a big waste of taxpayers' money

      I worked on the FJ&G Railroad for 10 years. When I worked there, the
      railroad owned the land, maintained its own road bed, maintained its
      own traffic controllers, plowed the snow, cut the brush and policed
      the entire route. The railroad also paid Gloversville, Johnstown and
      Amsterdam city taxes, Montgomery and Fulton County taxes and school
      taxes to the Northville, Mayfield, Broadalbin, Johnstown, Fonda and
      Amsterdam school districts.

      The notion that the Rail Trail fiasco is going to produce some
      pie-in-the-sky revenue for this area is beyond ludicrous &emdash;
      it's absurd. This is another classic example of politicians throwing
      away our tax dollars. Where is this grant coming from? A member item
      in the state pork barrel slush fund? We've had a mugging on the
      trail,
      and last week, a man was charged with sodomy after an incident on the
      trail.

      Gloversville and Johnstown have several hundreds of miles of
      sidewalks to walk on. What's better than a nice brisk walk on
      historic Kingsboro Avenue in the summertime?

      By law, the railroad had to blow its whistle at all grade crossings.
      This used to be the chief complaint of the residents. Who is going to
      police this monstrosity beyond the city line to Dennie's Crossing?

      Please stop throwing good money after bad.

      ROLAND BOWERS
      Gloversville
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2000
        Wow, this guy REALLY hates the RailTrail!

        Gino

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2000
          I don't recognize the name. Does anyone on the list know what he did for
          the FJ&G for ten years. Bus driver maybe? He makes good points about who's
          going to pay for it. The trail I was involved with at St. Albans (which
          didn't fly for the same nimby reasons) was matching funded by the rotary
          club and was to be maintained by the Park Commission. If a town doesn't
          have money these are not necessarily good ideas.

          PKL

          P.S. Was looking over the FJ&G deed records here tonight for the giggles of
          it and came across a familiar name purchasing a property in the town of
          Northampton from the FJ&G in 1947.

          http://profiles.msn.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2000
            I have heard the name before, but know little more. I believe he worked
            during the DO years.

            -Aaron
          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2000
              I think we see your point here I am thinking your argument using the
              assault, mugging and did you say Rape?? are indicative of the Gloversville
              area and not the fault of the rail trail itself?? This is like the
              politicians blaming the gun or gun's and not the criminal or fool who is
              using it in a criminal way?? Seems foolish to me to blame the rail trail
              for the rapist it's like blaming the parking lot at the grocery store for a
              fender bender?? This trail to me is just a nice addition to this area and I
              do not see it ever being any monetary draw to anyone, other than the ice
              cream and hot dog stands along the route! I have made the point before
              about the snow machines in the winter these monsters race across the roads
              at hundreds of MPH when there do not seem to be lights from an approaching
              car coming! and this is much more dangerous than anyone on a bike?? I
              suppose we are going to need to be watching for BIKER GANGS NOW? Leaving
              this roadbed like it is seems to me like a big scar right across Fulton
              County and this may only be a band-aid but it is at least that and I have
              seen Tax Payers money spent much more foolishly elsewhere at least it is
              being spent foolishly right here!! I mean no offence here Roland your view
              is shared by many but lets all be fair here Gloversville needs anything it
              can get And yes by the way I aggree with you about the taxes on the
              property and I may be mistaken but I think the towns and cities are paying
              tax on their shares of this property??

              > Rail Trail a big waste of taxpayers' money
              >
              > I worked on the FJ&G Railroad for 10 years. When I worked there, the
              > railroad owned the land, maintained its own road bed, maintained its
              > own traffic controllers, plowed the snow, cut the brush and policed
              > the entire route. The railroad also paid Gloversville, Johnstown and
              > Amsterdam city taxes, Montgomery and Fulton County taxes and school
              > taxes to the Northville, Mayfield, Broadalbin, Johnstown, Fonda and
              > Amsterdam school districts.
              >
              > The notion that the Rail Trail fiasco is going to produce some
              > pie-in-the-sky revenue for this area is beyond ludicrous &emdash;
              > it's absurd. This is another classic example of politicians throwing
              > away our tax dollars. Where is this grant coming from? A member item
              > in the state pork barrel slush fund? We've had a mugging on the
              > trail,
              > and last week, a man was charged with sodomy after an incident on the
              > trail.
              >
              > Gloversville and Johnstown have several hundreds of miles of
              > sidewalks to walk on. What's better than a nice brisk walk on
              > historic Kingsboro Avenue in the summertime?
              >
              > By law, the railroad had to blow its whistle at all grade crossings.
              > This used to be the chief complaint of the residents. Who is going to
              > police this monstrosity beyond the city line to Dennie's Crossing?
              >
              > Please stop throwing good money after bad.
              >
              > ROLAND BOWERS
              > Gloversville

              http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

            • leedarshi
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
                Well, Gino, I have to disagree with you. Hate seems to be extreme. I can
                understand someone feeling that the idea is not a good one. What I
                think is interesting is the letter from Theresa that tells of the
                Railroad Laws of 1850 and the reversionary rights. People do have rights
                and if the info Theresa found is as she described it, then that would be
                a way for land owners along the way to make their voice heard.

                > Wow, this guy REALLY hates the RailTrail!
                >
                > Gino
                >
                > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
                > >
                > > Rail Trail a big waste of taxpayers' money
                > >
                > > The notion that the Rail Trail fiasco is going to produce some
                > > pie-in-the-sky revenue for this area is beyond ludicrous &emdash;
                > > it's absurd. This is another classic example of politicians throwing
                > > away our tax dollars. Where is this grant coming from? A member item
                > > in the state pork barrel slush fund? We've had a mugging on the
                > > trail,
                > > and last week, a man was charged with sodomy after an incident on
                the
                > > trail.
                > >
                > > Gloversville and Johnstown have several hundreds of miles of
                > > sidewalks to walk on. What's better than a nice brisk walk on
                > > historic Kingsboro Avenue in the summertime?
                > >
                > > By law, the railroad had to blow its whistle at all grade crossings.
                > > This used to be the chief complaint of the residents. Who is going
                > > police this monstrosity beyond the city line to Dennie's Crossing?
                > >
                > > Please stop throwing good money after bad.
                > >
                > > ROLAND BOWERS
                > > Gloversville

              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
                  Yeah I guess so! Hate is a little extreme. I meant, he really
                  doesn't like the rail-trail!

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
                    There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
                    trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
                    was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
                    private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
                    which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
                    I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
                    not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
                    (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
                    never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
                    obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
                    through your "back yard".

                    NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
                    property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
                    the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.

                    Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.

                    In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
                    VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
                    land for the bike path was sustained in court.

                    In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
                    some nice ones.

                    PKL

                    http://profiles.msn.com
                  • leedarshi
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
                      What does NIMBY mean?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
                        Here's something I've always wondered about the FJG abandonment. Does
                        abandonment mean that the rail carrier just leaves their railroad
                        behind with no compensation or did the county buy the right of way?
                        What did the DO get out of abandoning the FJG?

                        Gino

                        > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                        > Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:42:44 EDT
                        > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
                        >

                        > There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
                        > trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
                        > was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
                        > private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
                        > which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
                        > I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
                        > not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
                        > (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
                        > never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
                        > obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
                        > through your "back yard".
                        >
                        > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
                        > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
                        > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
                        >
                        > Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.
                        >
                        > In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
                        > VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
                        > land for the bike path was sustained in court.
                        >
                        > In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
                        > some nice ones.
                        >
                        > PKL
                      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000