Yahoo has your Address

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
      Don't like multiple postings, but this effects us all. Yahoo has bought
      E-groups, and your addresses. Yahoo appears to support spammers, so I'm
      wondering how long it will take them to harvest addresses and start
      selling them like they do when you visit their home page.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
        Paul,

        It does say that current policies will be honored! Hopefully they are good
        to their word. I think this group is a good one and I won't let some junk
        mail stop me from keeping it active...

        Gino
        Group Moderator
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
          Hi Gino,

          Let's hope they will stick to the original terms. Just don't trust any company that wants
          you to fill out a abuse form on their web site, and tells you they will use your personal
          information for what ever they feel like. Time will tell, just thought people should be
          warned.

          Paul

          "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > It does say that current policies will be honored! Hopefully they are good
          > to their word. I think this group is a good one and I won't let some junk
          > mail stop me from keeping it active...
          >
          > Gino
          > Group Moderator

        • Glenn Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
            --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...> wrote:
            > Hi Gino,
            >
            > Let's hope they will stick to the original terms. Just don't trust
            > any company that wants you to fill out a abuse form on their web
            > site, and tells you they will use your personal information for
            > whatever they feel like. Time will tell, just thought people
            > should be warned.
            >
            > Paul

            I must agree with Paul on this one, for the little direct case law
            there is tends to side with the seller. While the US's FTC favours
            new rules to protect one's privacy, the technology to gather personal
            information has always been there and utilized.

            For more info, read up on the DoubleClick and Amazon.com positions.
            Amazon.com is being up-front with their (possible) intentions. What
            cheesed everyone about DoubleClick was that they weren't. More and
            more e-businesses are realizing that one of their prime assets is the
            customer information and preferences they have gathered. Witness the
            Toysmart liquidation, wherein the information they gathered is up for
            grabs, despite their TRUSTe privacy pledge.

            Any progress toward greater protection will more likely be motivated
            by doing business in the European Union, where privacy is statutorily
            protected, and oversight exists, along with severe penalties. In my
            last position, we were constantly in touch with the legal beagles
            over what could and could not be done, where, and with what, via the
            Internet in the EU. Sorry to go on so long, but this one is a real
            minefield.

            Glenn
          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2000