Re: ICC Pics. Electric Div.

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2000
      --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@i...> wrote:
      > I'll try and get the rest of the Elec. Div. pictures up so we can
      > figure out what overpasses and underpasses were where, compared to
      > what the area looks like today. Also. I remember when the line
      > through Amsterdam was complete along with a long passing track.
      Even
      > by 1950 or later, little or none of it had been "patched" over and
      > the turnout mechanism at the passing track looked in perfect
      working
      > order. As an 8 year old I took careful note of this and wondered if
      > the tracks were left in this condition because some day the
      trolleys
      > would return.
      > Saul

      Saul,

      The track remained perfect, in place, and uncovered, on East Main
      Street past the time that the ill-fated Amsterdam Mall was built.
      Before Route 5 was relocated, I can recall driving down the street,
      following the tracks until the zig-zag around the Mall intervened.
      Given the WW II steel drives, it's amazing the track was not
      removed.

      Glenn