Another Letter

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2000
      Another Letter Here's another message from the lady who is fighting the Rail Trail...

      Hello, Thank you for the messages.  I live at the corner of State Highway
      349 and Barker road in Gloversville.  I have been busy with the rail trail
      fight,  now it is in the lawyers hands.  I was very open minded when the
      rail trail issue first came about but the way I have been treated since
      asking for my privacy back has made me hate the idea (it was never my
      intention to become public enemy number 1). If the city leaders are not
      willing to protect my privacy rights before the trail is complete then it
      proves that they never will. They cut the trees down and they removed the
      banking to widen the trail.  The trees were planted many,  many years ago
      for privacy.  Their solution to my problem is:  they claim they don't have
      to replant trees or replace the banking because they own it.  The city
      claims to own an important part of my property and they claim that they can
      do whatever they want with it  (I have put off paying my taxes until this
      is settled).   Also the section behind my home will not be patrolled by the
      Gloversville police because of jurisdiction and the Sheriff does not have
      the equipment to do it and the state police need a letter writing campaign
      by the community before they can address it.  The railroad was a huge
      financial plus for the community when it began in 1875 but a rail trail
      will never generate the amount of business the Chamber of Commerce is
      touting. I also heard a rumor that there was a stabbing on the trail
      Tuesday night but there has been nothing in the news.  The whole rail trail
      issue was not thought out very well.