Re: A couple of questions.

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2000
      --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, Paul Charland <p.c
      harlie@...
      wrote:
      > [material snipped]
      > 3: I have a 1954 FJ&G Employee's Time Table (which I will be
      > sending to the group as soon as I can find out how!). If you look
      > at the arrival time of the first freight at Fonda, and the time of
      > the first freight out of Fonda, there is only enough time to cut
      > your train, run-around our caboose, put it on the cars going north
      > and get out of there. Was there a yard job in Fonda in `54?
      > If not, then when did they have time to weigh cars, or just make up
      > a train?
      > [material snipped]
      > Paul Charland

      At that time, there were two scheduled NYC freights which I can
      recall doing pickups/dropoffs at the Fonda yard: westbound VD75 and
      eastbound DV4. For a while, an NYC SW1 was based there to do the
      work. I do recall seeing it there in the very late 50s and into '60.

      Anyone have an NYC connection to get other details? There was often
      a late night NYC run into Fonda, and it inevitably would arrive and
      begin its not-so-quiet couplings just as I was going to bed. My
      family always referred to it as the Upper Prospect Street switcher.

      Glenn