Re: [FJGRailroad] A message I received

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2000
      A message I received
      Thanks Theresa!  Good and Bad with every project I think your point about the vandalism and etc. is well taken with this recent event!  Randy

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2000
        A message I received
        Respects to Theresa but I don't see any obvious connection between the burned car barn, trains that ran in the 1980s, or the trail. This seems a classic example of "NIMBY"---and the result is potentially that something which could be of great enjoyment by many people is blocked because it might have some negative effect on a few people. Unfortunately if that principle always prevailed we would have no new schools (increase traffic on my street, noise, kids may vandalize neighboring property). Why don't the people along the trail build a fence or plant a hedge ?

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000
          A message I received
          Seems as though projects of this type always effect some more than others and living near the right of way is a perfect example of those who have a different view of the bike trail.  This is a legitimate concern and I do believe the car barn fire is related here.  but the bike trail itself is not attracting nor making these kids act like criminals?  they already exhaust (if you see my point) .  The rail trial , in your opinion, will attract these kids to have better access to your back yard and this is a result I would not be happy with myself should this project be considered for my back yard.  Looking at it as someone who used to live and play near these tracks,  it seems to me, The rail trial my be very helpful to you!  The right of way is already there and as it sits now it is a path filled with overgrown weeds and trees and the only traffic is an occasional snow machine in the winter or bikes in the summer and as a place to hang out for some of Gloversville's "less busy" kid's!   I can see that with the bike trail the police can ride their bikes through this area,  I can't say how often?  but it certainly will be more than it is now?  Right?  and there will be others who will be using this area making it less a place to "hangout". It will also have posts at the ends of the street corners making it more difficult for that occasional snow machine to fly through.  and I am sure there will be some tree pruning as well as mowing done and this will certyainly look better in anyones back yard than the footpath that is there now?  This is just my opinion, Theresa,  Thta this trail will never replace the Railroad but that had it's downside as well those diesels were noisey, smelly, and dangerous I am lucky to not have lost a leg, arm, or hand when I was young and the condition of the tracks near my backyard when I was young were quite bad those rails and ties would creak and squeel when the deisel's went through and all the time tipping toward the creek several degrees where we would often hid!  As much as this buch of railroad nuts would like to see the old trains back I think you would be much better off with the bike trail.  hope you see my point  Randy