Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G S-2....Not!

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2000
      Paul, thanks for posting this. I did a search through Railpace files to see
      if I could find anything on industrial lines in Alexandria, but I turned up
      nothing. I figured it would be some sort of hand-me-down from a Class 1.

      I should point out that both FJ&G units were quite clearly scrapped in
      Little Ferry, NJ. Pictures of the scrapping do exist. I have seen the
      pictures but I do not have them in my collection---they are copyrighted and
      in a privately-owned archive.

      To prove a point, please take a look at the picture in the following link:
      http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/milw/milw816.jpg
      This is a Milwaukee Road Alco S4. The S4 was similar to the S2, but had a
      few differences. The scheme is close to the FJ&G scheme, but without the
      yellow stripes on the nose. We can easily mistake locomotives, especially
      when railroads use similar schemes.

      The same situation can be seen with this link
      http://landru.i-link-2.net/beaber/sw1.htm
      which shows Milwaukee Road switchers... in this case, they aren't even
      Alcos. They're EMD SW-1s.

      I've been flipping through photo books or watching old movies and have made
      this mistake myself. The Milwaukee Road engines certainly look like FJ&G
      from a distance.

      From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      To: FJG <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      Date: Friday, August 04, 2000 10:10 PM
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G S-2....Not!

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
        Hi Aaron,

        Although you are correct in most cases, there is one example that comes to mind.
        Providence and Worchester purchased two ex-CR GP-9s out of EMD's scrap line, believe they
        may have traded two or three RS-3s for them. Was the first time this happened, back about
        '81 or ';82 as I remember.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
          Hi Arron,

          Could have always hoped that they scrapped two to make one! Think Jim seen the unit for a
          very short time and it registered as an orange and black switcher. Not being a Chessie
          fan, the natural thing to think of was the FJ&G that he is familiar with, too bad it didn't
          turn out! We'll try harder next time!

          Paul