Electric Div. Carbarn Fire

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2000
      The old Cayadutta Electric carbarn on South Main St. in Gloversville burnt
      down last night. You can see pictures on the Leader-Herald main page, and
      there's a link on the left of the main page where you can read the entire
      story.
      www.leaderherald.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2000
        Damn!

        I saw a story on the news about a leather mill burning down! I had no idea
        it was the old car barn!!! I've been meaning to take pictures of it and
        was going to do it next week! What a shame! Is it a total loss?

        Gino
      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2000
          DAMN!!! DAMN!! we lost another one!!

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2000
            Iwas over there Wednesday afternoon and drove in hoping the gate was open
            and I could get inside to see if the trolley stop signs were still up in the
            rafters, The gate was closed so I turned around in the employment office
            parking lot and never noticed that the building was gone. Darn.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2000
              Maybe when those firebugs get out of jail, they can go and torch the
              Sacandaga and Broadalbin Depots!!! I saw a story about the arsons on Fox23
              news last night and a parent of one of the kids said "That's the kind of
              thing the little bastards do these days!" Only a parent could be proud, huh?

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2000
                I believe John Smatlak went in there (with appropriate permission) not too
                many years ago and got some things that were left over from the trolley era.
                Are you still on this list John, and could you tell us a little about what
                you found?

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2000
                  Does anyone have any recent pictures of the Trolley Barn? Of course before
                  the fire? The picture of it burning in the Leader is eerie! You can see
                  the shape of the building, but it is totally engulfed in flames. I guess
                  the fire department was worried about the bridge so they stood there and
                  watched it burn untill they got word that the bridge would support their
                  fire vehicles. Thank God no one was inside!