Re: [FJGRailroad] Picture Uploaded

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
      Hey all just wanted to share this with the rest of ya, Gino has to help me
      with this stuff I am happy to have his help! This is a shot if you are
      interested of the remains of one of the Goodyear Lumber Co.'s Marion
      Loaders! It fell of the Flat car(log car) along with the car itself near a
      small stream crossing in the heart of Jerseyfield country. This is my
      second trip in to photograph it and I thought a digital shot would be a good
      way to get this out in the light so to speak! As far as I know it is only
      One of Two Loaders of this type still in existence!! Yep there is one in
      Penn. at a museum that and it has been believed to be the only original
      example of a Barnhard or Marion steam powered log loader and this one is
      being made known to this group in Penn as we speak. of course theirs is in
      much better shape! But this is a real strange sight out in the middle of
      gods nowhere?? there is another area much farther in the woods as well that
      has the remains of five or six log cars that derailed after becoming
      uncoupled on the side of a steep hill!! wow what a mess that is they left
      it all there! probably took the logs ? Randy

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
        when did it fall off the flatcar ?

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2000
          I can't believe that they didn't clean those derailments up? I also can't
          believe that they are still there after all thses years...

          Gino
        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2000
            At the time this happened ( I am looking up this info now???) I know it was
            in the late twenties or early thirties?? the Steam powered loaders as well
            as some of the well used equipment had reached the end of it's usefull life.
            The loaders that used steam were becoming obsolete like the engines and they
            were a dime a dozen! At this point most had been converted to diesel or
            scrapped altogether and the loader itself was most likely the only crane
            they could have used to salvage this wreck?? they also left a great little
            velocipeed and we found some of it still there! I have a shot of it taken
            in the 1970's when it was still in working condition! there is a lot of
            rail still in there as well