Brill Gas Electric

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2014
      The models I have were imported by Suydam over 40 years ago.  According to drawings and information I found in a 1960 Model Railroader, this model is Brill model 350 75' combination coach. The FJ&G gas electric had 2 freight doors on each side with four panels instead of three. I don't  know if the unit was delivered this way or if the original owner made these modifications for mail and express use and never carried passengers. The FJ&G unit may have another model number entirely. I'm looking for more information in my Trains magazine database.

      --
      Saul B. Kalbfeld
      Detroit Motion Picture & Stage Employees Local 38 IATSE

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2014
        Hello Saul and all,

        The FJ&G gas electric car No. 340 was a Brill/ACF model 150 (two 1946 internal Brill letters referring to the No. 340 - post wreck).  There is a photo of No. 14 towing the car to the shop at Gloversville in the original paint scheme used on the FJ&G.  Whether it is arrival day or not, I do not know.  The middle door is in place.  The door appears identical to the front baggage express door which makes me think it was modified by the manufacturer.

        There are three photos of the car while owned by the Chesapeake Beach Railway in Ames W. Williams history of that railroad (15 windows).  Have never seen a photo of the car when in use on the LA&TRy.  Walt also searched for LA&T images without success.  IIRC the LA&T returned the car to Brill who then sold and prepared the car for the FJ&G.  If anybody has a photo of the car in Texas, a hi-res TIFF copy would be greatly appreciated.

        The body for the car was initially built for another car in 1926 by ACF.  In 1929 the body and trucks from the original car were used in the construction of the car for the Chesapeake Beach Ry.  On the FJ&G the car was equipped with a single Hall-Scott model 150 engine.  In the FJ&G's offer for sale in 1959, the engine is not listed, except to say it is 275 hp.

        If any of us has any supplemental information or clarifications I would greatly appreciate your sharing them with us on this list.

        Regards,

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com