Re: [FJGRailroad] Freight On The FJ&G

  • Christopher Parker
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 9, 2013
      Thank you Gino, those are some really great shots, and really helpful too!

      Paul, I will take you up on your offer, thank you!  Though I can tell you it will be after our October 23rd annual meeting for which I am full-tilt preparing.  Very much looking forward to it.

      John, your memories are very interesting too, thanks.

      Thomas, welcome aboard.

      All of you, this is a very interesting discussion for me!

      For many people, I think what cars moved appears somewhat random, but I am particularly interested in the patterns.  Looking at Gino's pictures, it's not random at all to me.  Not sure if it's the railroader or the model railroader in me, but I get into it.

      What I'm doing is setting up my own template for Paul Charland's MSTS FJ&G simulation.  The activities on the route use some often used and relatively generic sets of rolling stock that make for easy downloads.  First I decided I wanted to make something with rolling stock I like better (I have the advantage of already having the upcoming BLW Pennsylvania set which has 100 beautiful (if I do say so myself) transition era freight cars.  Then I decided I wanted to pay close attention to accuracy (for instance, not mixing anthracite and bituminous coal hoppers) and now once that door is open, it's a very interesting quest!  Before I'm done I will probably end up creating more rolling stock skins for msts (any requests?).  A batch of 1970's salt hoppers are on my list.  So are more anthracite coal hoppers which will be a big part of an upcoming Erie-DL&W set for BLW.  [Forgive me if you aren't in the train simulation world and this doesn't make sense . . . ]

      Christopher

      On 10/8/2013 11:38 PM, Gino's Railpage wrote:

      All this talk about freight cars and businesses on the FJ&G finally forced me to add some neat photos to my Rail-Blog.  The first batch are photos of the Pre-1974 FJ&G from the 50's and 60's.  Then I'll post some shots of the line in her Delaware Otsego System Years, Post 1974 to 1984.

      Go give this a look and hopefully we can discuss the photos in the Yahoo Group!

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com

    • johnsesonske
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 9, 2013
        Gino,

        This stuff is incredible. As a kid I spent a lot of time near the Kingsboro Ave crossing. Actually seeing what that siding looked like with coal cars is really neat. In the later years there was an occasional lumber or insulation car spotted there for Northville Building Supply.

        Hussmann's previous name was Mohawk Cabinet. Mohawk also made commercial refrigeration units as a predecessor to Hussmann. The units in the grocery store had "Mohawk" on the nameplates. So did Mohawk originally make furniture and then evolved into refrigeration units hence the name cabinet? Or was that a completely different company in your picture?

        Is the successor Mohawk Cabinet Company that came after Hussmann still in business? I see they have a website and were or are using the Hussmann building. I thought that venture never got off the ground.

        John

        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 9, 2013
          Thanks John!  Mohawk Furniture was the mill in Broadalbin in the 1970's.  That's where I confused it with Mohawk Cabinet!  I will fix it!  If you enjoyed those shots, I know you'll enjoy the Delaware Otsego shots I will post tomorrow!

          I too remember a car on the track at Kingsboro.  You would never know there was rail under the heavy growth.  What I found so interesting about the Coal Dealer on 11 Ave is the trestle.  I had no idea there was ever one there.  I worked with a guy who grew up next door to Betor's Grocery which was just up the street from the Kingsboro Crossing.  He told me his friend broke his arm falling off of it in 1960 and that it was removed soon after!

          I dont know what was done in the building after Hussman closed.  There was a large amount of golf carts parked right outside the office.  Every once in a while I go to a small grocery and see a Hussman Refrigerator and it makes me proud.

          Gino

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 14, 2013
            Part 2 of our look at Freight service on the FJ&G Railroad has been posted.  Last week we looked at the days before 1974 and the Delaware Otsego System, today we look at 1974 to 1984, the last year of operation...

            Gino

          • johnsesonske
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 14, 2013
              More great stuff Gino. Thanks for sharing these shots.

              That place at the end of the Foster St spur was actually Parwell Mfg Corp. The spur was actually moved over  a little in 1976 so it would come up along the building and I believe they started getting tank cars in June 1976. It was a very small place.

              John
              Part 2 of our look at Freight service on the FJ&G Railroad has been posted.  Last week we looked at the days before 1974 and the Delaware Otsego System, today we look at 1974 to 1984, the last year of operation...

              Gino

            • Dean J. Splittgerber
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                Wow "TOFC" on the FJ&G....Never knew that!

                Great Set of images! Thanks again!

                Dean J. Splittgerber
                Duanesburg, NY

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                  Yes, there was one of those "circus" style ramps in the Gloversville yard next to the freight house on the north end by the office. They did a decent amount of TOFC volume in the mid to late 70's prior to trucking deregulation. There was also a short period where they were pulling a lot of empties from Mechanicville and loading them. This was be managed by the FJ&G as all those trailers were staged in the Gloversville yard.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                    Gino,

                    Thank you for posting all these photos.  I've really been enjoying them.  That said, not being from Gloversville or Johnstown, I am having a hell of a time figuring out where a lot of these locations are.  I've been using the aerial views on Bing to work my way along the line and attempt to identify where the pictures were taken but there have been so many changes in the past 30 years, it's not easy.

                    Is there a map online that shows the FJ&G in detail overlaid on a street map?

                    Thanks,
                    Jason Cook
                    New Haven, IN

                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                      Unfortunately the maps I added to the files section filled the allotted space after just 6 images, thus I deleted them.  Will have to find another way to get them out.

                      PKL

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                        Yes John, the former Bleyls did become Parwell Chemical at one time.  I cant remember if it was after Parwell that Rohm and Haas were there, but the place was definately Rohm and Haas at one time and they did get tank cars.  They produced some of the chemicals in the leather operation.

                        Gino

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                              These historic topos are somewhat helpful, not for specific streets but for a general layout...

                              Town of Johnstown covers the FJ&G for the most part.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                                  Gino,

                                  Just to add a bit...

                                  In photo 6 at the West Yard, the covered hopper looks to be going into or coming out of Fairbanks Feed, they received a mix of boxcars and covered hoppers. That Chessie boxcar is for that warehouse you show the tankcars at in photo 7. I am not sure if that warehouse was Commonwealth Chemicals or Lee Dye but they received a decent amount of inbound boxcar traffic, many of which were Chessie boxcars. I am pretty sure that was Comonwealth Chemicals

                                  In photo 7, those tankcars were for either Commonwealth Chemical or Lee Dye.

                                  In photo 14, that D&H was at a customer located between Fulton St and Spring St. They got a few D&H boxcars and also some VTR and Railbox boxcars. I always thought that was Anadio produce but regular boxcars do not make much sense for them. Anybody know what customer was in that spot? Their address would have been on West Street.

                                  In photo 16, that siding was used very frequently to unload hides and truck them over to Risedorph's Tannery located down the street on West 8th Ave. Risedorph's was part of the Feuer Group that owned Pan Am, Karg, and Allied Split. Feuer also was the owner of Omnicology in the Gloversville industrial park, likely the last new industry on the FJ&G.

                                  In photo 17, yes, that tank car is being shoved up to Parwell on the Foster St spur.

                                  John

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                                    The ramp was installed in January of 1963; article in the Leader-Herald for Saturday, Jan 19, 1963 says in was installed in the previous week.  Photos believed to be the first trailers unloaded were taken in February of 1963;  REAZ 451600 first off followed by REAZ 421596.  These were gondola style trailers leased by the B&M, used for hauling glue stock for Milligan & Higgins, the glue factory on Maple Avenue, Johnstown.  Although not located on the railroad they were always one of the railroad's reliable receivers of raw material.  For years they took their raw stock at the team track at Townsend Avenue in Johnstown.

                                    Special arrangements were made with NYC to expedite piggy-back shipments, which were intended to be off-loaded as soon as placed at the ramp.

                                    FJ&G went to considerable expense purchasing a prefab steel ramp rather than constructing one from timbers and gravel.

                                    PKL

                                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 15, 2013
                                      The building where that D&H car is spotted I recall being referred to as the Sears warehouse for the Sears and Roebuck store on West Fulton Street.  It was in fact J. C. O'Donnell's warehouse in the 1960 directory.   Edwards Box and Paper Co. had it in the 1963 directory and thereafter.

                                      PKL

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                        Paul, Did Milligan & Higgins use there own Tractor (Truck) to pull them off the TOFC cars or did the FJ&G own an old Truck and just spot the trailers? Sounds like the B&M was leasing spare trailers from the Railway Express Agency.

                                        Deano

                                        Dean J. Splittgerber
                                        Duanesburg, NY

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                          Gino- The chemical company on Foster St. when I worked there was named Parwell Chemicals.Love those pictures,brings back some memories.Mark

                                          That&apos;s a great idea Jason.  We should make an overlay for Google Maps to show these locations on the FJ&G!

                                          Gino
                                          On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

                                          Gino,

                                          Thank you for posting all these photos.  I&apos;ve really been enjoying them.  That said, not being from Gloversville or Johnstown, I am having a hell of a time figuring out where a lot of these locations are.  I&apos;ve been using the aerial views on Bing to work my way along the line and attempt to identify where the pictures were taken but there have been so many changes in the past 30 years, it&apos;s not easy.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                            Gino,

                                            Thank you.  This helped confirm a number of locations I wasn't sure about.  Sure has been a lot of change in the last 30 some years.  Wish I could have seen the FJ&G in person but I was a bit too young.

                                            Jason

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                              Hi Dean,

                                              The railroad had a contract hauler whose name I can't recall but maybe able to find in notes.   I was not a determined recorder of the present, at that time, nor was I a diary person (wish today I had been).  It had not occurred to me yet that the railroad might some day vanish from the landscape.

                                              Those REAZ trailers were not necessarily spare trailers of REA Express.  In 1960 REA formed a trailer leasing subsidiary REALCO, later acquired by another enterprise.   I suppose being gondola style trailers they were less susceptible to ruination from the slop than a box car would be from raw skins or hides, among many other commodities, and may have been of relatively recent vintage.  IIRC they were in dedicated service between somewhere in NE Mass and Gloversville.

                                              PKL

                                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                                Some more info related to the plastics covered hoppers in Gino's shots.

                                                Coleco used light blue colored PVC pellets for its pool liners. The PVC almost always came in the plain grey covered hoppers. Coleco also used other plastics for molding other toys. I believe the vast majority if not all of this was Polyethylene. Alathon was Duponts trade name for its Polyethylene so all of the Dupont Alathon covered hoppers carried these PE pellets. Dupont was the primary supplier but there were also occasional cars from Arco polymers (blue) and Hercules (grey) and a few other oddballs.

                                                I am pretty sure that all plastic molding occurred at the Coleco plant in the Village of Mayfield. So Patch Road served as basically a truck transfer site for the plastics. Most of the cars were unloaded outside on the stub siding along the building. I am pretty sure they also had the ability to unload cars inside the building. The siding ran the entire length of the building from the back entrance up to the Patch Road side of the building. It ran right along the outside wall of the building.

                                                I worked at Coleco Patch Road in the summer of 1982 on a number of the assembly lines making various toys. There was a "gun it and go" chopper bike that had a large number of individual plastic parts such as the body, handlebars, big front wheel and back wheels. These parts were all molded from Polyethylene in Mayfield. There was also a large plastic corvette they were introducing that year and the large plastic shell was also molded from Polyethylene in Mayfield.

                                                John

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                                  John-The Vinyl was unloaded outside of the building while the regular plastic pellets were unloaded inside of the building. Yes you are right,there was no molding done at Patch Rd. Inside the building,there was three places where the box cars were spotted. With a plasic car being spotted for unloading inside,you had to put in a 40ft box car in next,then followed by two 50ft box cars if they wanted three cars. Otherwise only two 50ft cars could fit,not three 50ft. cars.Mark

                                                  -----Original Message----- From: Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> To: Gcdranet Group <gcdranet@yahoogroups.com>; FJGRailroad Yahoo Group <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Mon, Oct 14, 2013 9:21 pm Subject: [FJGRailroad] Freight On The FJ&G

                                                  http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/ -- http://fjgrr.org/ http://ginosrailpage.com/ http://ginostrolleypage.com/http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 16, 2013
                                                    You don't know how happy I am to have Mark commenting on these photos since he was working all these places!!!  John, your input on these is incredible!  I knew you chased the FJ&G and got some great shots, but I didn't know the details you had on the customers and their freight!  WOW!!!

                                                    Mark, please tell everyone about starting up a diesel inside of COLECO and making all the workers sick!  You weren't one of them John, I hope!

                                                    Gino

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 20, 2013
                                                        Just a heads up guys.  The recent blog-pages with freight customers on the FJ&G will be going away.  Get a few more looks at them before they are gone!

                                                      • jatlamsa
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 26, 2013

                                                          Sorry I missed getting to review the entire series of photos w/ informative captions - I didn't think it would come down off the page so quickly (RR work sked intervened until now).  Any possibility this will be reposted, archived on another site, or made available in other media (book, CD rom, etc)?  Looked like there was al lot of rare and noteworthy material.