FJ&G Customers

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2013
      Here are odd some sightings on the line. Some, I've mentioned before. I once saw a long string of PFE mechanical reefers in the Gloversville yard. I don't remember the year but they were probably loadings for the MCA plant. In 1955, the railroad built a temporary siding where Rt. 30A crosses the ROW in Gloversville during highway construction, originally state route 147, now 30A. Many covered cement hoppers were spotted there. Too bad I didn't have a camera then, but I was only 13. Supposedly the original broadcast tower for WTEN in Broadalbin came in on 50' flats, but this has not been documented.

      Cars used to be regularly spotted along the team track along Fulton St. in Gloversville, next to the Daniel Hayes building. There was also a busy team track where the line crossed Rt. 30 in Vail Mills.

      For those of you who don't know me, I've been away from the Gloversville area since 1969, moving from Albany to Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am a member of GHS class of 1960. I remember the post war golden age when the mills and shops were busy. Considering how busy the line was then, I'm now amazed how poor the physical condition of the railroad was. Light rail, worn ties, no tieplates, bad drainage, no ballast. The seeds of doom were sown for when heavier cars became common.

      Also, I read with amusement, an article in the LH a couple of weeks ago regarding a proposal to revive the line to Johnstown.  This is some kind of fanciful dream. For starters, the deck truss over the creek outside Fonda is 113 years old and would not pass any inspection. I can only see this happening if customers in the Johnstown Industrial Park were ready and waiting for service.

      --
      Saul B. Kalbfeld
      Detroit Motion Picture & Stage Employees Local 38 IATSE

    • Gordon Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
        Having been on the raw-material end of the tanning industry a comment on cars used in  hide & skin transport.
        These were almost always nearly life-expended stock for they were used only for that traffic which tended to be a bit oderifrous and salt impregnated.  They were returned empty.  If I needed something for an outbound shipment (processed bovine hair) I had to order 'clean' stock.
        Not a FJ&G account, Lackawanna in Herkimer County.
        Gordon D.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
          Saul,

          Re:  the WTEN antenna, I have heard the same thing, and I do not think I heard it from you.

          How the tower arrived is up for debate; however, I do know it was shipped out via rail when it was dismantled.

          The July 2, 1965, and the August 20, 1965 editions of the Leader-Herald state that the tower was shipped out by rail in thirty-foot sections when it was dismantled.  This must have been some accomplishment, as the tower was 1,340 feet high and contained a 60-foot antenna on its top.  That leaves 1,280 feet to be shipped by rail.  In thirty-foot sections, that's roughly 43 sections.

          I am surprised that we do not have photos of such a move; it must have been substantial (or, at least rare) for the railroad and there were plenty of photographers active on the line in 1965.  Since the dismantling occurred over time, it is doubtful that the entire move occurred at once; maybe the railroad hauled two or three cars a day?

          The articles state that the WTEN tower went to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill market.  The articles do not state which station bought the tower, though a tower height query and/or a license query through the FCC might provide details.

          If the tower shipped out via rail, might it have arrived via rail?  It is possible.

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
            There are photos of the outbound movement, just can't place them; have never seen any of the inbound.  Before they put up a fence to protect trespassers from the tower, a friend and myself managed to make to the 23rd and 24th, respectively, of those thirty foot sections before we were caught.  Had not a bunch of local kids at the base raised a ruckus (or maybe one of them was smarter than us and turned us in) alerting the guy in the building there what we were up to (oops, that was not an intended pun) I really think we would have gone to the top and probably frozen up there.  That was a  steel ladder up the center with grating for rest stops maybe every ten sections - we had switched position twice.  The view ,fantastic as I recall.   Needless to say he wasn't very happy when he hollered at us.  We received given quite an education about the dangers of climbing that high up, not just the impact of falling but the reality of grown men assigned to work up there mentally freezing and having to be rescued.  And the fellow who scared us back down was really quite calm in talking to us.  I am confident the fence went up very soon after.

            There are photographic images of about every type of car the FJ&G railroad carried and at placement from the early fifties to the end, which would preferably be posted to albums on this Yahoo membership site.  Eber Davis had a modeler's interest in the railroad, concentrating on the traffic and all the buildings, along the route.   We owe him gratitude for his dedication to recording the images of the FJ&G for over thirty years.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: akeller_1979@...
            Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 19:48:36 -0700
            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Customers

[...]

            -Aaron

          • Jim Kelly's Heros
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
              There's only so much room on the group Paul. I plan to eventually move it over to the FJ&G Page, but wanted to get it going so I used my blog.

              Gino

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2013
                Hi Gino,

                Glad to see Eber's work put to good use, just hoping to keep it shared as much as possible within the group.  Sally and Ginny took photos Saturday I hope to get posted this week.  Too bad we couldn't have had weather like this week, fabulous.  Sally and I hiked about 8 miles this afternoon on the Burlington bike path - former Rutland RR ROW.

                Chris is a good guy.  Was surprised to find his interest in the FJ&G but then to discover its more about the simulation Paul Charland created.  Will be interesting to sit and talk with him about his plans.  He is a lobbyists for the Vermont railroads.

                Paul

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: fjgrailroad@...
                Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 05:00:52 +0000

> [...]

                > I am surprised that we do not have photos of such a move; it must have been substantial (or, at least rare) for the railroad and there were
                > plenty of photographers active on the line in 1965. Since the dismantling occurred over time, it is doubtful that the entire move occurred at once; maybe the railroad hauled two or three cars a day?
                > The articles state that the WTEN tower went to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill market. The articles do not state which station bought the tower, though a tower height query and/or a license query through the FCC might provide details.
                > If the tower shipped out via rail, might it have arrived via rail? It is possible.

              • Christopher Parker
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2013
                  Thanks, Paul

                  My FJ&G interest started from the 1979 article in Model Railroader, which came at a formative age (I was 9 and just becoming aware of what was going on in railroads).  The train simulator route revived that interest.  It helped that it was a Paul Charland route, because I live not far from what was the Springfield Terminal and I know Paul's work to be very accurate and representative.

                  My plans, such as they are, started out just with an impulse to revive for my own use the activity generator template that covers the route.  I'm still not sure what beyond that I might undertake.  Or even if I will manage to be successful in altering the template (my first couple of attempts did not work, but I still hope to figure it out).  But it's all interesting to me and I am pleased if that produces something sharable.

                  Christopher

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 10, 2013
                    Well, like we discussed.  I plan to add as much of Eber's work as possible to my web-pages.  If you want people to see it, my Rail-Blog has very high traffic.  Certainly a way to introduce strangers to the FJ&G, which is always my goal...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 10, 2013
                      Positively, I agree anyone who is interested in seeing, knowing and especially modeling the FJ&G should be able to access these images.  FMCC will also have them up on their website at some point in the future.

                      I went through the albums before taking them to FMCC, to find any images that may have been missed in the scanning process.  Then I rearranged all the batches and files from the original scans to follow the album sequence, renamed and date coded them.  The only chores remaining are to sort out Eber's negatives to match the albums, a job I won't be getting to for a while, and make prints for the later FJ&G and DO years.

                      PKL

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: fjgrailroad@...
                      Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:19:40 -0400