Re: Industry List with cars

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
      To supplement what Paul and John have said, I somewhere have freight station registers from Broadalbin listing particular car numbers from the mid-1940s through the late 1950s.  I also have Delaware Otsego System car lists indicating the type of car, its maker, its contents, and a denotation of where it was spotted on the line.

      The trouble is that this data is not in front of me right now.  I would have to dig it out of storage sometime in another state.

      -Aaron
    • Christopher Parker
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
        Paul, I may have a meeting in St. Albans Friday of next week.  It's still tentative, but are you around then?
        Don't know yet if I'll drive or take the train.
        Chris

        On 10/7/2013 11:48 AM, Paul Larner wrote:

        Good morning Chris,

        The FJ&G served two  small cities a few villages with a full service, meaning to say any type of car in general service for any particular time period might be found on the FJ&G.  The most common obviously were box cars and coal hoppers in the hey day years, followed by gondolas, tanks, flats, B&O auto carriers, reefers, stock cars.  Hides were hauled in low grade XM boxes; glue stock in equally low grade gondolas.  Tanks carried fuel oil, gasoline and liquefied gases; covered hoppers had been on the line since their inception carrying cement, then feed products and later plastics and fertilizer components; flats carried gas or chemicals in cylinders, lumber, poles, farm equipment, steel.  And so it goes.

        The easiest way for you to get this information is the next time you're coming to St. Albans, plan for a few hours of non-business time, then give me a call and we can spend some time reviewing photographs from last 40 years of FJ&G operation.  You'll understand that you can petty much place any type of freight car you choose in an FJ&G train.  Reporting marks likewise may represent any railroad or car company.  The FJ&G hauled them all at one time or another in with a frequency fitting the needs of the areas businesses.

        I believe you have or at least have access to my contact information.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: vtrailaction@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:35:08 -0700
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Industry List with cars

        All: I hope you will have fun tomorrow with your gathering.  Too far to travel for me, I am afraid.

        At some point somebody was going to post their data of what kind of cars the different industries got.  Was that ever done?   Will it be?

        If not, is there any chance the group could pool it's wisdom and create one together?

        thanks
        Christopher