Re: Industry List with cars

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
      I can't speak for the pre DO years, but during the DO years I followed the FJ&G closely and kept a log book of cars at industries whenever I saw them. I will try and put a list together at some point in the next month or so. But as a quick example...

      The Gville coal shed got salt hoppers from Sterling Salt (Retsof)that consisted of both Sterling Salt cars and plain IMCX and GNWR cars. It also got both green Cargill Salt covered hoppers and yellow Cargill hoppers. Once I saw a Southern covered hopper with clay unload at the Gville coal shed and once I saw a D&H hopper with coal unload at the Gville coal shed, I might have seen a second D&H coal hopper unload there.

      Fairbanks Feed got both boxcars and covered hoppers. I recall an Illinois Terminal covered hopper and some NW covered hoppers. There was also at least one NW boxcar and a Buffalo Creek boxcar to name just some of the cars that came there. Near the end there was a PC and LV covered hopper delivered to Fairbanks.

      You could see any of the classic modern 50ft paper cars at the Leader Herald. CN, CV, DWP, MEC, CP green, and most versions of BAR scheme including the Red white and blue vertical scheme showed up.

      The various hide unloading spots would typically get 40ft and 50ft Midwestern cars. UP, BN, GN, SP&S,CB&Q, FRISCO, IC, ICG, GM&O, ATSF. These were all classic cars, most with the various slogans on them.

      Hussmann got great looking 50ft or 60ft boxcars. For a long time they got mostly those great looking bright red ATSF rib side plug door cars, many in fairly fresh paint. Later on they got BN, WP, SP, SSW, and Rio Grande cars so the source of the inbound shipments must have changed.

      Coleco got a lot of those great looking bright red Dupont Alathon (polyethylene)center flow covered hoppers and lots of grey ACFX center flow covered hoppers (pool PVC). They got other hoppers but the 2 listed were the main types. Outbound they used exclusively FJ&G boxcars after those ex PC cars arrived.

      The lumber place in Broadalbin used the DO and CACV all doors for the brief time they were loading. Broadalbin got a lot of 50ft Southern waffle side cars. I assume they were for Fiber Conversion based on the volume but they could have had furniture for Mohawk. The sawdust place also exclusively used the FJ&G ex PC cars for outbound loads after those cars arrived.

      John
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
        To supplement what Paul and John have said, I somewhere have freight station registers from Broadalbin listing particular car numbers from the mid-1940s through the late 1950s.  I also have Delaware Otsego System car lists indicating the type of car, its maker, its contents, and a denotation of where it was spotted on the line.

        The trouble is that this data is not in front of me right now.  I would have to dig it out of storage sometime in another state.

        -Aaron
      • Christopher Parker
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013
          Paul, I may have a meeting in St. Albans Friday of next week.  It's still tentative, but are you around then?
          Don't know yet if I'll drive or take the train.
          Chris

          On 10/7/2013 11:48 AM, Paul Larner wrote:

          Good morning Chris,

          The FJ&G served two  small cities a few villages with a full service, meaning to say any type of car in general service for any particular time period might be found on the FJ&G.  The most common obviously were box cars and coal hoppers in the hey day years, followed by gondolas, tanks, flats, B&O auto carriers, reefers, stock cars.  Hides were hauled in low grade XM boxes; glue stock in equally low grade gondolas.  Tanks carried fuel oil, gasoline and liquefied gases; covered hoppers had been on the line since their inception carrying cement, then feed products and later plastics and fertilizer components; flats carried gas or chemicals in cylinders, lumber, poles, farm equipment, steel.  And so it goes.

          The easiest way for you to get this information is the next time you're coming to St. Albans, plan for a few hours of non-business time, then give me a call and we can spend some time reviewing photographs from last 40 years of FJ&G operation.  You'll understand that you can petty much place any type of freight car you choose in an FJ&G train.  Reporting marks likewise may represent any railroad or car company.  The FJ&G hauled them all at one time or another in with a frequency fitting the needs of the areas businesses.

          I believe you have or at least have access to my contact information.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: vtrailaction@...
          Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:35:08 -0700
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Industry List with cars

          All: I hope you will have fun tomorrow with your gathering.  Too far to travel for me, I am afraid.

          At some point somebody was going to post their data of what kind of cars the different industries got.  Was that ever done?   Will it be?

          If not, is there any chance the group could pool it's wisdom and create one together?

          thanks
          Christopher