RE: [FJGRailroad] Industry List with cars

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
      Good morning Chris,

      The FJ&G served two  small cities a few villages with a full service, meaning to say any type of car in general service for any particular time period might be found on the FJ&G.  The most common obviously were box cars and coal hoppers in the hey day years, followed by gondolas, tanks, flats, B&O auto carriers, reefers, stock cars.  Hides were hauled in low grade XM boxes; glue stock in equally low grade gondolas.  Tanks carried fuel oil, gasoline and liquefied gases; covered hoppers had been on the line since their inception carrying cement, then feed products and later plastics and fertilizer components; flats carried gas or chemicals in cylinders, lumber, poles, farm equipment, steel.  And so it goes.

      The easiest way for you to get this information is the next time you're coming to St. Albans, plan for a few hours of non-business time, then give me a call and we can spend some time reviewing photographs from last 40 years of FJ&G operation.  You'll understand that you can petty much place any type of freight car you choose in an FJ&G train.  Reporting marks likewise may represent any railroad or car company.  The FJ&G hauled them all at one time or another in with a frequency fitting the needs of the areas businesses.

      I believe you have or at least have access to my contact information.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: vtrailaction@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:35:08 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Industry List with cars

      All: I hope you will have fun tomorrow with your gathering.  Too far to travel for me, I am afraid.

      At some point somebody was going to post their data of what kind of cars the different industries got.  Was that ever done?   Will it be?

      If not, is there any chance the group could pool it's wisdom and create one together?

      thanks
      Christopher

    • Thomas Hefner
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
        I would like to introduce myself as I am new to this group.

        My wife's family is from the Canajahorie area. I have only been in the
        area about 4 times in the last 20 years. And it has only been for a few
        days at a time, which is a shame, especially in the summer. To live
        where air conditioning is not a requirement would be nice I must admit.
        After 44 years I am tired of hot and HUMID summers than can be miserable
        to me at this point in my life.

        I downloaded the FJ&G for MSTS the other day (actually used OpenRails).
        That line was packed with industry it seems. Of course this virtual
        route was prototyping the FJ&G in the 1950s.

        During the busy years was this a one train a day each way? How many cars
        on average were hauled each year?

        My future wife and my roommate in college my senior year were both born
        in Gloversville. My in-laws attended Broadalbin HS.

        I grew up in the Hickory, NC area, which has a connection to
        Gloversville, in that all the glove mills in my area were all non-union
        paying terrible wages and benefits and is the reason so much of the
        Gloversville mills moved south (and then on to even worse places to work
        such as China and SE Asia.) Many of my family or at least the
        generation older than me either worked furniture, hosiery, or in the
        glove mills. Of course most all are shut down now. Also not as many
        were on the rail lines, though some mills and factories were served by rail.

        The last time I was in Gloversville about a decade ago I noticed that
        Carolina Glove had a small operation in the town. Carolina Glove used
        to have many mills in my area, and is HQ'ed about 4 miles from where I
        grew up. I was not expecting to see them up North.

        I'll try not to ask to many questions and be a bother, but I would love
        to learn more about this area, both as a rail-fan and as someone that
        has a connection to the area.

        Thomas
        Greensboro, NC

        PS I live about 1/2 mile from the Norfolk Southern H-line. We get 6
        Amtrak trains a day and maybe 10-15 freight.
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
          I can't speak for the pre DO years, but during the DO years I followed the FJ&G closely and kept a log book of cars at industries whenever I saw them. I will try and put a list together at some point in the next month or so. But as a quick example...

          The Gville coal shed got salt hoppers from Sterling Salt (Retsof)that consisted of both Sterling Salt cars and plain IMCX and GNWR cars. It also got both green Cargill Salt covered hoppers and yellow Cargill hoppers. Once I saw a Southern covered hopper with clay unload at the Gville coal shed and once I saw a D&H hopper with coal unload at the Gville coal shed, I might have seen a second D&H coal hopper unload there.

          Fairbanks Feed got both boxcars and covered hoppers. I recall an Illinois Terminal covered hopper and some NW covered hoppers. There was also at least one NW boxcar and a Buffalo Creek boxcar to name just some of the cars that came there. Near the end there was a PC and LV covered hopper delivered to Fairbanks.

          You could see any of the classic modern 50ft paper cars at the Leader Herald. CN, CV, DWP, MEC, CP green, and most versions of BAR scheme including the Red white and blue vertical scheme showed up.

          The various hide unloading spots would typically get 40ft and 50ft Midwestern cars. UP, BN, GN, SP&S,CB&Q, FRISCO, IC, ICG, GM&O, ATSF. These were all classic cars, most with the various slogans on them.

          Hussmann got great looking 50ft or 60ft boxcars. For a long time they got mostly those great looking bright red ATSF rib side plug door cars, many in fairly fresh paint. Later on they got BN, WP, SP, SSW, and Rio Grande cars so the source of the inbound shipments must have changed.

          Coleco got a lot of those great looking bright red Dupont Alathon (polyethylene)center flow covered hoppers and lots of grey ACFX center flow covered hoppers (pool PVC). They got other hoppers but the 2 listed were the main types. Outbound they used exclusively FJ&G boxcars after those ex PC cars arrived.

          The lumber place in Broadalbin used the DO and CACV all doors for the brief time they were loading. Broadalbin got a lot of 50ft Southern waffle side cars. I assume they were for Fiber Conversion based on the volume but they could have had furniture for Mohawk. The sawdust place also exclusively used the FJ&G ex PC cars for outbound loads after those cars arrived.

          John
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
            To supplement what Paul and John have said, I somewhere have freight station registers from Broadalbin listing particular car numbers from the mid-1940s through the late 1950s.  I also have Delaware Otsego System car lists indicating the type of car, its maker, its contents, and a denotation of where it was spotted on the line.

            The trouble is that this data is not in front of me right now.  I would have to dig it out of storage sometime in another state.

            -Aaron
          • Christopher Parker