Re: [FJGRailroad] Get Together Oct. 5, 2013

  • Jerry Snyder
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 27, 2013
      I am planning to attend on the 5th.
      Jerry

      From: Paul Larner <pklarner@...>
      To: FJGRailroad <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:56 AM
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Get Together Oct. 5, 2013

      There will be a gathering of the FJ&G faithful and others interested on October 5.  Please let me know if this is in your plans for this year as I need to plan for a meeting room, the "banquet," name tags, brochures, etc.

      If any of you is able and willing to do a 45 - 60 minute presentation on a subject informative about an FJ&G specific topic or present a slide presentation of 75 to 100 FJ&G images, modeling the FJ&G or whatever you have to share as long as it is direct to the FJ&G railroad, don't you think this is a good opportunity to bring it to those who will care the most.

      In many of the latest meetings we have started at the Fulton County Museum on N. Kingsboro Avenue where there is a nice exhibit directed to the railroad, but there are other museum quality artifacts to "show and tell" from our personal collections which would be of interest.  And maybe some of us have items for trading or selling among members.  Let me know so tables can be arranged.

      If any of this appeals to you please let me know.  A good time will be had irrespective of the program but such enhances the day and, if we're allowed to use the museum, by opening the presentation portion of the get together to the public permits the museum to receive donations for their needs.

      Digital presentation devices are available.   Should you have slides to present let me know if you don't have a suitable projector.  I have a carousel style but it hasn't seen daylight in a lot of years, or better bring your own if you can.

      Anything I forgot?  All ideas are appreciated,

      PKL

    • kattrain177
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 22, 2013
        Hi!

        I was fortunate enough to meet a couple of you @ the Gloversville RailFest this summer. There was a mention of a tour through the RailTrail on Oct 5th. Is this still in the plans? My friend and I are trying to lock down our plans for this weekend and would like to include this walk. Please let me know. Also is this gathering open to the public? Do you think there will be more information on the reopening of the Fonda end of the line?

        Thanks in advance!

        Kattrain177

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 22, 2013
          Hello,

          The get together is on and open to the public.  We meet about 9:30 at the Fulton County Museum on Kingsboro Ave. in Gloversville.  The Leader ran a notice this past week "advertising " the gathering.  The meetings are informal with an agenda and schedule but no time frame.  They are intended to be a good time centered around catching up on and viewing facets of the FJ&G.

          We have always concluded the day with a group dinner at the Railyard restaurant (formerly Scotties Tavern) on West Fulton street in Gloversville.

          The walk along the rail bed to the north end of the city is planned for the afternoon following a visit to the Little League ballpark (once home of the pro team franchise owned by the FJ&G.  The park was constructed for the 1906 season following the team's winning the 1905 league pennant).

          Please let me know names of attendees and if you will be joining us for dinner.  If I forgot anything, someone will help out.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: kattrain177@...
          Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:47:23 +0000
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Get Together Oct. 5, 2013

          Hi!

          I was fortunate enough to meet a couple of you @ the Gloversville RailFest this summer. There was a mention of a tour through the RailTrail on Oct 5th. Is this still in the plans? My friend and I are trying to lock down our plans for this weekend and would like to include this walk. Please let me know. Also is this gathering open to the public? Do you think there will be more information on the reopening of the Fonda end of the line?

          Thanks in advance!

          Kattrain177

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

          > There will be a gathering of the FJ&G faithful and others interested on October 5. Please let me know if this is in your plans for this year as I need to plan for a meeting room, the "banquet," name tags, brochures, etc.
          >
          > If any of you is able and willing to do a 45 - 60 minute presentation on a subject informative about an FJ&G specific topic or present a slide presentation of 75 to 100 FJ&G images, modeling the FJ&G or whatever you have to share as long as it is direct to the FJ&G railroad, don't you think this is a good opportunity to bring it to those who will care the most.
          >
          > In many of the latest meetings we have started at the Fulton County Museum on N. Kingsboro Avenue where there is a nice exhibit directed to the railroad, but there are other museum quality artifacts to "show and tell" from our personal collections which would be of interest. And maybe some of us have items for trading or selling among members. Let me know so tables can be arranged.
          >
          > If any of this appeals to you please let me know. A good time will be had irrespective of the program but such enhances the day and, if we're allowed to use the museum, by opening the presentation portion of the get together to the public permits the museum to receive donations for their needs.
          >
          > Digital presentation devices are available. Should you have slides to present let me know if you don't have a suitable projector. I have a carousel style but it hasn't seen daylight in a lot of years, or better bring your own if you can.
          >
          > Anything I forgot? All ideas are appreciated,
          >
          > PKL

        • A. Fusco
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 23, 2013
            Given all of the publicity in the Leader Herald the last two weeks,
            maybe somebody from government ought to be invited to give a 15
            minute overview of exactly where the proposal to lay a line from
            Fonda 3.5 miles north to the Johnstown Industrial Park stands at the
            moment. So you guys on the 5th....I'm lookin' forward to it. ---
            Andy Fusco
          • Charlie Vosburgh

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 23, 2013
                Andy,

                Good idea.  I expect to be meeting with one of Gloversville's county supervisors this Friday.  I'll see if there is possible.

                Paul

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2013
                  Paul,
                  I will be there for the the get-together and Kathy will be joining us for dinner so put us down for two reservations. We were at the Railyard last Friday night for dinner - good as ever.
                  Jerry

                  From: kattrain177@...
                  Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:47:23 +0000

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 29, 2013