RE: [FJGRailroad] CSX Derailment

  • Ohlhous, Howard C.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 27, 2013

      Subject: NY 5 closed btw NY 10, Palatine Bridge & NY 334 Fonda, T/O Mohawk, Montgomery Co, on 6/27/13 at 8:30 am, due to trail derailment.

      ...This is an ACTUAL NYSDOT ROAD CLOSURE ALERT...

      Issued By:  NYS - DOT
      Affected Jurisdictions:  Montgomery County

      Headline:  NY 5 closed btw NY 10, Palatine Bridge & NY 334 Fonda, T/O Mohawk, Montgomery Co, on 6/27/13 at 8:30 am, due to trail derailment.

      NY 5 closed between NY 10, Palatine Bridge and NY 334 Fonda, T/O Mohawk, Montgomery Co, on 6/27/13 at 8:30 am, due to trail derailment. Detour is westbound is NY 30A to NY 5S to NY 10. Reverse for eastbound traffic.

      For more travel information, visit 511NY ("http://511ny.org") .

       For more information on Trans Alert, visit FAQs ("http://http://511ny.org/customizealertssub.aspx") .

      This morning around 8 am  8-20 cars derailed near Martin road west of Fonda.  Route 5 is closed to through traffic between Fonda and Palatine Bridge.  The Fonda siding starts in that location.  Charlie

        --
        http://fjgrr.org
        http://ginosrailpage.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 27, 2013
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2013
            Didn't I just mention a few weeks ago about how nice it would be to have the West Shore open for detours in cases like this?  Who could we talk to about this?

            Gino
          • Charlie Vosburgh
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
              Gino; I talked to one of the guys that I work with on the state and was told that CSX bought the farm land between the track and the river so that they could push the wrecked cars there to clear the tracks.  Also, he said one of the trains ran a stop signal.  Charlie
              Didn't I just mention a few weeks ago about how nice it would be to have the West Shore open for detours in cases like this?  Who could we talk to about this?

              Gino

              No virus found in this message.

            • johnsesonske
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
                Yes, an aerial photo in the Leader Herald online clearly shows that the WB was crossing from Track 1 to Track 2 at CP-188 when the EB failed to stop (for whatever reason is not known) and rammed into the WB right at the CP-188 crossovers. There was a secondary pile up back at Martin Rd just west of MP 189.

                John

                Gino; I talked to one of the guys that I work with on the state and was told that CSX bought the farm land between the track and the river so that they could push the wrecked cars there to clear the tracks.  Also, he said one of the trains ran a stop signal.  Charlie
                Didn't I just mention a few weeks ago about how nice it would be to have the West Shore open for detours in cases like this?  Who could we talk to about this?

                Gino
                No virus found in this message.
              • Gordon Davis
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
                  Perhaps this is a result of the wreck.  This morning there were two Amtrak trains nose-to-nose at the Syracuse station.
                  Gordon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013

                    Your address takes me to a rail-type site, not the Leader-Herald.
                    Gordon D.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Thats weird. I just clicked the link below and it went to the Leader Herald. You should be able to go directly to the Gloversville Leader Herald website and get the article there.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 30, 2013
                        Trains are moving!  Started around 3 PM Saturday.  Sorry for late report, I was helping in Fort Plain with the flood clean up.  Charlie