FJ&G Dispatching

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013
      In the 1950s, how were the trains dispatched? Some were listed in the timetable, but how were meets coordinated without signals?

      Thanks in advance.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2013
        FJ&G moved trains on the authorities of timetable schedule and train orders.  Their rule book followed the standard code.

        Rule 94.  For the movement of trains not provided for by time-table, train orders will be issues by authority and over the signature of the Superintendent.  They must contain neither information nor instructions not essential for such movements.

        They must be brief and clear; in the prescribed forms where applicable; and without erasure, alteration or interlineation.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: etozorak@...
        Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 20:03:28 +0000
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Dispatching

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
          This raises another interesting question about the use of radios on the railroad.  When did it start, and how were they used?  Did the diesels arrive with radios installed, thus beginning the "Radio Equipped" era on the FJ&G?

          A newspaper account exists detailing a string of vandalism on the railroad at some point in the 50s or 60s.  Damaged were several locations on the railroad right of way proper AND the railroad's radio repeter, which was listed as having been installed on Ayers Hill.  I always thought this was odd, as normally kids vandalizing a railroad switch or boxcar would not then travel to a point not actually on the right of way to damage communications circuits.  I never fully researched the incident to ascertain whether arrests were made.  It's been ten years since I've read those articles.

          To the topic at hand, did the railroad go "dark" after the repeater was damaged?

          And when DO came onto the scene, my understanding is that the crews had to dial in Cooperstown via the locomotive radios.  Where was the repeater or repeaters for this system and what was the range?  (The Saratoga & North Creek roughly uses the same type of set up to dial Iowa-Pacific dispatchers in Chicago.)

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
            Radio communication between the dispatcher and the locomotive was established in 1958.  So far as I know there was no use of individual hand sets on the FJ&G.  Hand or lamp signals were used to communicate among train crew members.  I have no specific recollection of what the practice was during the DO.  What you suggest re dialing in was, and is, standard operating practice on many roads.

            Railroads go dark when the signal system fails; when radios fail they go silent.  Railroad rules are written for the eventuality that both communication and signals will fail.  What happens today when the radio system fails, with so few employees in the field, may result in a cessation of movement, certainly a bit of delay.  However if there are enough men in the field to fulfill the protocol established by the operating rules business could continue.  That was not a problem on the FJ&G.  Those men knew how to do their jobs with or without radio communication.

            Perhaps Mark, if he's still on here, can fill us in on DOs radio practice.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: akeller_1979@...
            Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:57:32 -0700
            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching

[...]

            -Aaron

          • johnsesonske
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2013
              During the DO days the Cooperstown Dispatcher controlled movement on the FJ&G. I do not recall it being a dial up system where you hear the phone ringing but that was a long time ago. On the S&NC you actually hear a phone call over the scanner.

              My notes show the FJ&G to Cooperstown frequency as 162.000

              I do know that in the late 80's the times I was at Lock 13 in Randall I could hear the NYSW loud and clear on my scanner. They had a strong radio system. Back in the late 80's I could clearly hear all NYSW radio conversations going on in Utica on my hand held scanner while I was in Syracuse. This was back when the NYSW only went as far north as Jamesville and the Utica line was the main route north and south.

              John

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 16, 2013
                There was a repeater in the Jamesville area,one in the Cassville NY area,and one in the Chenango Forks area.We had hand held radios when I worked there between 1978 and 1983.There were times that if we were in Sangerfield working,we could here the conversations in Cortland.

                -----Original Message----- From: Paul Larner <pklarner@...> To: FJGRailroad <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sat, Jun 15, 2013 11:23 pm Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com From: akeller_1979@... Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:57:32 -0700 Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 16, 2013
                  Let me correct my last message. We had hand held radios on the FJG when I worked there from 1978 to 1983 +. On the NYSW,we had repeaters in the Cassville NY for the Utica side,mostly for communications between Utica and SherburneNY. Between Norwich and Binghamton would use the Chenango Forks repeater.There was another one in Jamesville that we would use between Jamesville and Homer. Between Cortland and Binghamton would also use the Chenango Forks repeater. There was an area between Sherburne and Norwich,and also in the Cortland area that was dark. When radio would fail,we also had track phones to use along the line.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 16, 2013

                    This is off subject but I believe there has been a washout on the CSX Mohawk division near Yost putting the Chicago line out of service.  They  have been hauling shot rock and riprap from Carver's quarry in Rockwood around the clock, starting Saturday afternoon.  Traffic is moving on the other line by track foreman direction.  The canal was drained in advance of the heavy rain that was forecast at Lock 14 and 15.  Charlie

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com From: akeller_1979@... Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:57:32 -0700 Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching
[...]

                    No virus found in this message.

                  • johnsesonske
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 16, 2013
                      There is some sort of washout or issue along TK 2 right on the east side of the Lock 13 dam structure. On Saturday TK 2 was closed from CP-184 on the east side of Fonda to CP-198 on the east side of Nelliston. TK 1 was fully in service under control of a local foreman and with a 20mph or 30mph restriction. All trains were getting backed up including Amtrak but trains were flowing.

                      As you said, a lot of rip rap was coming in by truck and being dumped along the ROW by Lock 13.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 17, 2013

                        What's the status of the Chicago Line today?

                        Gino

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 17, 2013
                            They should reroute some of the traffic to the West Shore!  Maybe drag some stone from Cushing to Utica and then back up the Chicago Line.

                            Oh, wait a minute.  That message was 45 years too late!

                            Gino

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com From: akeller_1979@... Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:57:32 -0700 Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching
[...]

                            http://fjgrr.org
                            http://ginosrailpage.com
                            http://ginostrolleypage.com
                            http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/
                          • Patrick lavallee
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 17, 2013
                              Good one Gino.
                              Patrick Lavallee

                              -----Original Message----- From: Paul Larner <pklarner@... <mailto:pklarner@...> > To: FJGRailroad <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Sat, Jun 15, 2013 11:23 pm Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com> From: akeller_1979@... <mailto:akeller_1979@...> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:57:32 -0700 Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Dispatching