RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: BJRY 44

  • Peter Sefton
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013

      The FJG acquired the 44 ton locomotive from the Washington & Old Dominion, where, among other tasks, it may have hauled cement for the Pentagon. So it should have the W&OD color scheme as its lowest layer of paint above the primer.

      Peter S.

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
        Thanks John.  That photo is what is needed; no doubt now.  Trust but verify.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: jsesonske@...
        Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 05:26:00 +0000

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
          Yes, 15041 is the correct number.  See attached.

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: jsesonske@...
          Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:35:57 +0000

          Regarding the serial number on engine 30, I see it referenced as 15051 below but 15041 in other places, its 15041, is that correct?

          John

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" wrote:

          > Here's some insite from our own Paul K Larner. This was posted to the
          > group a couple of years ago...
          >
          > The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30 (nee WOD
          > 47) however the serial numbers do not match. FJ&G No. 30 was serial number
          > 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX. So some
          > more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.
          > PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.
          > Need to confirm via serial numbers. I'll post if I can find anything more
          > concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.
          >
          > Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance
          > this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.
          >
          > I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No.
          > 44serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive
          > of this
          > type. Perhaps a rebuilt number???
          >
          > FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to
          > Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967. Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill
          > at least as early as April 14, 1967. FJ&G sent their spare parts directly
          > to Cargill.
          >

          > From the photo we know the loco went to Denver and I thought I was told it
          > later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.
          >

          > PKL
          >

          > On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Aaron Keller wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I went to see this unit when I moved from Missouri and back to New York in
          > > 2009.
          > >
          > > There are several spotter's features on that unit that are unlike any
          > > other 44-tonner I have ever seen either in person or in photographs.
          > > Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of
          > > the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker
          > > lamps. You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the
          > > unit. Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place
          > > where the marker lights would have been. This is work the FJ&G performed
          > > on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.
          > >
          > > My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these
          > > types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.
          > >
          > > Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I
          > > would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the
          > > railroad if I could look the unit. The builder's plates were long gone. I
          > > also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had
          > > permission.
          > >
          > > -Aaron
          > >

          > --
          > http://fjgrr.org