Re: BJRY 44

  • John
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
      I sent an email to Burlington Junction. They replied...

      "BJRY 44 was purchased between 1983 – 1985 from the Great Western in Colorado. The only identification information we could find on the engine was a label in the cab, which has been attached to this email.
      We currently use the 44 about 4-6 times a year in West Burlington, IA to serve a single customer."

      The label in the picture says SER. 15041-44

      I assume this is the serial number?

      John

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller wrote:

      > A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
      > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
      > This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.
      >
      > -Aaron

    • John
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
        Regarding the serial number on engine 30, I see it referenced as 15051 below but 15041 in other places, its 15041, is that correct?

        John

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" wrote:

        > Here's some insite from our own Paul K Larner. This was posted to the
        > group a couple of years ago...
        >
        > The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30 (nee WOD
        > 47) however the serial numbers do not match. FJ&G No. 30 was serial number
        > 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX. So some
        > more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.
        > PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.
        > Need to confirm via serial numbers. I'll post if I can find anything more
        > concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.
        >
        > Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance
        > this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.
        >
        > I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No.
        > 44serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive
        > of this
        > type. Perhaps a rebuilt number???
        >
        > FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to
        > Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967. Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill
        > at least as early as April 14, 1967. FJ&G sent their spare parts directly
        > to Cargill.
        >

        > From the photo we know the loco went to Denver and I thought I was told it
        > later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.
        >

        > PKL
        >

        > On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Aaron Keller wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I went to see this unit when I moved from Missouri and back to New York in
        > > 2009.
        > >
        > > There are several spotter's features on that unit that are unlike any
        > > other 44-tonner I have ever seen either in person or in photographs.
        > > Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of
        > > the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker
        > > lamps. You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the
        > > unit. Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place
        > > where the marker lights would have been. This is work the FJ&G performed
        > > on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.
        > >
        > > My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these
        > > types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.
        > >
        > > Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I
        > > would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the
        > > railroad if I could look the unit. The builder's plates were long gone. I
        > > also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had
        > > permission.
        > >
        > > -Aaron
        > >

        > --
        > http://fjgrr.org
        > http://ginosrailpage.com
        > http://ginostrolleypage.com
        > http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/

      • Peter Sefton
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013

          The FJG acquired the 44 ton locomotive from the Washington & Old Dominion, where, among other tasks, it may have hauled cement for the Pentagon. So it should have the W&OD color scheme as its lowest layer of paint above the primer.

          Peter S.

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
            Thanks John.  That photo is what is needed; no doubt now.  Trust but verify.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: jsesonske@...
            Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 05:26:00 +0000

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
              Yes, 15041 is the correct number.  See attached.

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: jsesonske@...
              Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:35:57 +0000

> [...]

              > > Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of
              > > the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker
              > > lamps. You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the
              > > unit. Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place
              > > where the marker lights would have been. This is work the FJ&G performed
              > > on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.
              > >
              > > My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these
              > > types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.
              > >
              > > Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I
              > > would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the
              > > railroad if I could look the unit. The builder's plates were long gone. I
              > > also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had

            • Jim Kelly's Heros
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
                What photo?

                Gino