RE: [FJGRailroad] BJRY 44

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2013
      Well we know it's still out there.  Now if only someone would get the numbers off the thing.

      Paul

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:40:53 -0800
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] BJRY 44

      A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
      http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
      This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.

      -Aaron

    • johnnychristman4
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
        We could always just call them up and ask them to look for us!

        > Well we know it's still out there. Now if only someone would get the numbers off the thing. Paul
        > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        > From: akeller_1979@...
        > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:40:53 -0800
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] BJRY 44

        > A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
        > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
        > This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.
        >
        > -Aaron

      • John
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
          I am going to send them an email today asking if they could send me that info. I will post the response if I get one.

          John

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
            Yes, way ahead on that.  Called the office back before the summer.  They were going to get back.   Best alternative is for someone in the area to go and do a check or, someone or two take a road trip with that on the tour.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: johnnychristman4@...
            Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000
            Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: BJRY 44

            We could always just call them up and ask them to look for us!

            > Well we know it's still out there. Now if only someone would get the numbers off the thing. Paul
            > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            > From: akeller_1979@...
            > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:40:53 -0800
            > Subject: [FJGRailroad] BJRY 44

            > A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
            > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
            > This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.
            >
            > -Aaron

          • d.michael holdridge
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
              where's it located?

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: johnnychristman4@...
              Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000

              We could always just call them up and ask them to look for us!

              > Well we know it's still out there. Now if only someone would get the numbers off the thing. Paul
              > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > From: akeller_1979@...
              > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:40:53 -0800
              > Subject: [FJGRailroad] BJRY 44

              > A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
              > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
              > This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.
              >
              > -Aaron

            • Skip Barber
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                Paul,

                Too bad its not Burlington, NC.  I'd be there in a flash.

                Skip

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: johnnychristman4@...
                Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2013
                  Too bad it's not Burlington Flatts, New York!  Heck, Paul could run to Burlington VT if it was there!

                  ;-)

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: johnnychristman4@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000

                  --
                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://ginosrailpage.com

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: johnnychristman4@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000

                  --
                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://ginosrailpage.com
                  http://ginostrolleypage.com
                  http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/

                  --
                  http://fjgrr.org
                  http://ginosrailpage.com
                  http://ginostrolleypage.com
                  http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/
                • Gordon Davis
                  Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
                    Of what Burlington are you speaking?
                    Gordon D.

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: johnnychristman4@...
                    Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:15:45 +0000

                    Message 10 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
                      I went to see this unit when I moved from Missouri and back to New York in 2009.

                      There are several spotter's features on that unit that are unlike any other 44-tonner I have ever seen either in person or in photographs.  Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker lamps.  You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the unit.  Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place where the marker lights would have been.  This is work the FJ&G performed on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.

                      My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.

                      Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the railroad if I could look the unit.  The builder's plates were long gone.  I also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had permission.

                      Message 11 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
                        Here's some insite from our own Paul K Larner.  This was posted to the group a couple of years ago...

                        The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30  (nee WOD 47) however the serial numbers do not match.  FJ&G No. 30 was serial number 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX.  So some more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.  PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.  Need to confirm via serial numbers.  I'll post if I can find anything more concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.

                        Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.

                        I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No. 44 serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive of this type.  Perhaps a rebuilt number???

                        FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967.  Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill at least as early as April 14, 1967.  FJ&G sent their spare parts directly to Cargill.

                        From the photo we know the loco went to Denver and I thought I was told it later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.

                        PKL

                        Message 12 of 18 , Feb 13, 2013
                          I sent an email to Burlington Junction. They replied...

                          "BJRY 44 was purchased between 1983 – 1985 from the Great Western in Colorado. The only identification information we could find on the engine was a label in the cab, which has been attached to this email.
                          We currently use the 44 about 4-6 times a year in West Burlington, IA to serve a single customer."

                          The label in the picture says SER. 15041-44

                          I assume this is the serial number?

                          John

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Keller wrote:

                          > A new photo of BJRY 44 has appeared:
                          > http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=424723
                          > This is the unit believed to be FJ&G No. 30.
                          >
                          > -Aaron

                        • John
                          Message 13 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
                            Regarding the serial number on engine 30, I see it referenced as 15051 below but 15041 in other places, its 15041, is that correct?

                            John

                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Gino's Railpage" wrote:

                            > Here's some insite from our own Paul K Larner. This was posted to the
                            > group a couple of years ago...
                            >
                            > The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30 (nee WOD
                            > 47) however the serial numbers do not match. FJ&G No. 30 was serial number
                            > 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX. So some
                            > more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.
                            > PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.
                            > Need to confirm via serial numbers. I'll post if I can find anything more
                            > concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.
                            >
                            > Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance
                            > this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.
                            >
                            > I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No.
                            > 44serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive
                            > of this
                            > type. Perhaps a rebuilt number???
                            >
                            > FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to
                            > Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967. Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill
                            > at least as early as April 14, 1967. FJ&G sent their spare parts directly
                            > to Cargill.
                            >

                            > From the photo we know the loco went to Denver and I thought I was told it
                            > later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.
                            >

                            > PKL
                            >

                            > On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Aaron Keller wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > I went to see this unit when I moved from Missouri and back to New York in
                            > > 2009.
                            > >
                            > > There are several spotter's features on that unit that are unlike any
                            > > other 44-tonner I have ever seen either in person or in photographs.
                            > > Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of
                            > > the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker
                            > > lamps. You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the
                            > > unit. Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place
                            > > where the marker lights would have been. This is work the FJ&G performed
                            > > on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.
                            > >
                            > > My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these
                            > > types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.
                            > >
                            > > Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I
                            > > would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the
                            > > railroad if I could look the unit. The builder's plates were long gone. I
                            > > also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had
                            > > permission.
                            > >
                            > > -Aaron
                            > >

                            > --
                            > http://fjgrr.org
                            > http://ginosrailpage.com
                            > http://ginostrolleypage.com
                            > http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/

                          • Peter Sefton
                            Message 14 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013

                              The FJG acquired the 44 ton locomotive from the Washington & Old Dominion, where, among other tasks, it may have hauled cement for the Pentagon. So it should have the W&OD color scheme as its lowest layer of paint above the primer.

                              Peter S.

                              Message 15 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
                                Thanks John.  That photo is what is needed; no doubt now.  Trust but verify.

                                PKL

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jsesonske@...
                                Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 05:26:00 +0000

                                Message 16 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
                                  Yes, 15041 is the correct number.  See attached.

                                  PKL

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: jsesonske@...
                                  Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:35:57 +0000

> [...]

                                  > > Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of
                                  > > the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker
                                  > > lamps. You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the
                                  > > unit. Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place
                                  > > where the marker lights would have been. This is work the FJ&G performed
                                  > > on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.
                                  > >
                                  > > My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these
                                  > > types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.
                                  > >
                                  > > Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I
                                  > > would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the
                                  > > railroad if I could look the unit. The builder's plates were long gone. I
                                  > > also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had

                                • Jim Kelly's Heros
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Feb 14, 2013
                                    What photo?

                                    Gino