What is this place in Johnstown?

  • Howard
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2012
      Gino:
      I was in Johnstown this morning. Saw this odd building not too far from the rail trail and was wonding if it was rail related. I posted the photo in the Photos section.
      Thanks,
      Howard
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2012
        That is the former Brown Coal Company, later King Coal. They were a good customer of the FJ&G.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2012
          I was just looking through the photo section Howard and wondered what happened to the King Coal photos that I posted there.  Looks like they've been deleted.  I try to find them to upload in case you want to see that building in the 'old' days...

          Gino

          --
          http://fjgrr.org
          http://ginosrailpage.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2012
            The founder of the Brown Coal Company in Johnstown was Raymond Brown who operated the business for many years before selling it to the King Coal Company. Raymond Brown then founded the Brown and sons Ford Motor Dealership in Johnstown (and later also in Amsterdam) which was inherited by two of his sons Robert and Richard Brown. A third son, Russel Brown, had a truck rental business in Johnstown.

            I recall riding in an ice truck with Raymond Brown while he delivered ice for his father's ice business in Johnstown.

            Mal Horton, a distant relative of the Browns.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2012
              I didn't know there was a connection with the Browns (Coal) and the Ford dealer.  I met Mrs. and Mrs. Brown once and they were very nice!

              Gino

              --
              http://fjgrr.org
              http://ginosrailpage.com
              http://ginostrolleypage.com
              http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/
            • Ohlhous, Howard C.
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30, 2012

                I'll try to find them to upload in case you want to see that building in the 'old' days...

                Gino

                Yes, thanks Gino, I'd like that.
                I do recall the name King Coal, and not from the children's nursery rhyme or the military cadence called while marching in the Army!
                Howard