BIG piece of the West Shore Railroad history is Gone

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2012
      The former Union Fork And Hoe in Frankfort, NY sits smoldering as I write this email.  If you don't know, this building was
      the original New York West Shore and Buffalo shops until The New York Central took control of the line.  This was a large
      complex with many buildings.  It has been reported that this is the largest fire EVER in Herkimer County.  40 departments
      from 4 counties were needed to bring it under control.  Workers removing asbestoes from the building sparked the fire
      which quickly jumped from building to building.  My in-laws live down stream from Frankfort near Herkimer and were
      engulfed in putrid smoke.  The smoke could be seen all over the Mohawk Valley.

      Here are some amazing photos: