Announcing HO Lackawanna Bobber Caboose kit

  • J. Canfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2012
      Bob McGlone and I are pleased to announce our latest kit, a Delaware, Lackawanna and Western 4-wheel bobber caboose. (Note: this kit is totally different from the NYO&W bobber kit I produced some time ago.) The Lackawanna used mostly 4-wheel bobber cabooses from the 1880's through the mid steam era of the 1930's and from 1900 on, about 400 were built to this design with the rear mounted cupola. Our kit is based on outline plans and prototype photos found in the Tom Tabor series of books about the Lackawanna and with the details included in our kit, you can build any version from about 1900 through 1930 including earlier versions through newer versions including roofwalks and ladders. Prior to 1900, Lackawanna bobbers were virtually identical to this one but without a cupola and you could do that version as well if you add a roof seat (not included). You can see pictures of our pilot models along with the decals in the Photos section under "Lackawanna Bobber" which shows versions built by Bob of one from the 1900 era and one built by me of a later 20s version.
      The kit includes resin parts for the sides, ends, floor, platforms, roof walks, interior bracing, tool box sides and ends, and cupola sides and ends; Precision Scale detailed brass step castings; truck re-engineered from a Bethlehem Car Works #139 passenger truck by us specifically for this kit; Tichy windows, ladders, lift rings, curved grabirons, cupola corner grabirons, and brakes; platform railings, side markers, and end grabirons from YeOldeHuffnPuff; Proto MAX couplers by Walthers; Roofing by Northeastern; stack and cupola marker light by Bitter Creek; staples for early version grabirons; wire and scribed styrene, clear windown glazing; and completely detailed and illustrated instructions. We are especially pleased that the kit also includes decals custom-made specifically for this kit by RailGraphics and will letter any version from the red pre-1900 versions through the yellow post-1900 bobbers. These decals are also perfect for lettering the brass DL&W bobbers imported in the 70s by Empire Midland and may also be suitable for other Lackawanna early 20th century rolling stock.

      As far as other roads using this model of bobber, The Pittsburg Shawmut and Northern had at least two different bobbers virtually identical to this Lackawanna one and if you know of others, we'd be interested in hearing about them. An added benefit is that if you are looking for a bobber different from all the plastic ones floating around out there, this is it…… the body is about 2' shorter, truck is 1'6" shorter and a different style, side has only 1 window versus 2 or 3 windows, end doors are solid, steps are different, the cupola is end mounted versus centered, and the cupola has 3 window ends. In addition, you can add variety galore by building this kit with the cupola centered, offset, or totally removed and through minimal kitbashing, you can also model a wide variety of bobbers used all over the US during this period.

      John Canfield