#30 at Cargill, Denver, CO 1969

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2012
      I came across this image on eBay. I don't know if it has been posted here before. FJ&G #30 (44-tonner) is at Cargill in Denver Colorado in August 1969.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville-44T-30-8-x-10-Color-Photo-/320940046121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab9847729
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2012
        Great shot!

        --
        http://fjgrr.org
        http://ginosrailpage.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2012
          Does it still exist?
          Gordon

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2012
            Gordon,  Hard to tell.  The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30  (nee WOD 47) however the serial numbers do not match.  FJ&G No. 30 was serial number 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX.  So some more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.  PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.  Need to confirm via serial numbers.  I'll post if I can find anything more concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.

            PKL

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: gdavis4@...
            Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:05:45 -0400
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] #30 at Cargill, Denver, CO 1969

            Does it still exist?
            Gordon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2012
              Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.

              I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No. 44 serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive of this type.  Perhaps a rebuilt number???

              FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967.  Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill at least as early as April 14, 1967.  FJ&G sent their spare parts directly to Cargill.

              From the photo we know the loco. went to Denver and I thought I was told it later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.

              PKL

              To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: pklarner@...