Re: [FJGRailroad] Kit Ideas?

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2012
      Broadalbin Station is my vote!  He can use the plans in MR 8/79!

      Gino

      On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM, handyman756 <handyman756@...> wrote:

      This isn't an ad to sell anything, but a request for ideas. My cousin in Virginia (originally from Canajoharie)started a retirement business a couple years ago producing limited run (two or three dozen)resin casting craftsmen kits, mostly New York, Ontario and Western Railway rolling stock. He recently came out with his first structure, a service station based on one in Edmeston, NY (from a photo in an NYO&W book). I think it's time he gets back to his roots (Fonda is kind of close to Canajoharie) and produce something from the FJ&G. So this is a request for ideas, which I will pass along to him. Any unique or unusual FJ&G equipment/structures you want to nominate? I've already sent him pictures of the #1 caboose, but the thread about the flanger got me thinking there must be other equipment and buildings that would make good candidates.
      Jerry

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
        I'm with Gino Broadalbin station ,already have a flanger almost done.

        ---- Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:
        > Broadalbin Station is my vote! He can use the plans in MR 8/79!
        >
        > Gino
        >
        > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM, handyman756 <handyman756@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > This isn't an ad to sell anything, but a request for ideas. My cousin in
        > > Virginia (originally from Canajoharie)started a retirement business a
        > > couple years ago producing limited run (two or three dozen)resin casting
        > > craftsmen kits, mostly New York, Ontario and Western Railway rolling stock.
        > > He recently came out with his first structure, a service station based on
        > > one in Edmeston, NY (from a photo in an NYO&W book). I think it's time he
        > > gets back to his roots (Fonda is kind of close to Canajoharie) and produce
        > > something from the FJ&G. So this is a request for ideas, which I will pass
        > > along to him. Any unique or unusual FJ&G equipment/structures you want to
        > > nominate? I've already sent him pictures of the #1 caboose, but the thread
        > > about the flanger got me thinking there must be other equipment and
        > > buildings that would make good candidates.
        > > Jerry
        > >

        > --
        > http://fjgrr.org
        > http://ginosrailpage.com
        > http://ginostrolleypage.com
        > http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2012
          Just a thought but... how about a kit for the tool shed that appears in
          the 1979 MR. There were a few of these on the property, also looks like
          a common NYC design.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

            That was my second vote!

            On Jun 30, 2012 6:10 PM, "Paul" <p.charlie@...> wrote:

            Just a thought but... how about a kit for the tool shed that appears in
            the 1979 MR. There were a few of these on the property, also looks like
            a common NYC design.

            Paul :-)

          • Gordon Davis
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
              As I model European railways I'll withhold my suggestion.
              However the original question should have also included a follow-up.
              If one was available would you buy it?
              Gordon

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Paul,
                  I don't have that MR issue. Is that shed the design shown #30 picture in the 1928 ICC set?
                  Jerry

                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                  > Just a thought but... how about a kit for the tool shed that appears in
                  > the 1979 MR. There were a few of these on the property, also looks like
                  > a common NYC design.
                  >
                  > Paul :-)

                • Gordon Davis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                    As MR is now available (all issues) on a disc, check out your local modelers, they may have a copy.  Our local train club maintains an extensive file, check on your locals too. Also the Scenectady Public Library for they usually go for the techy stuff.
                    Gordon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Hi Jerry,

                      I have it as 1928-7 but they might be the same structure or at least the
                      same general design. There was also one at the east end of the Fonda
                      yard, one just at the north side of the Route 5 crossing, also one in
                      Broadalbin. Back in the late 70s there were two on the north west side
                      of the DeWitt yard across from the tower, they appear to have been a
                      standard NYC plan with variations.

                      Paul :-)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 8, 2012
                        Gentlemen,

                        The tool house in the MR issue is the one at Broadalbin, south of 2nd Avenue.  It was similar but unlike any of the others in that it had a large loft.  Note the window placement, vis-a-vis the Mayfield and Fonda tool houses, which were identical to one another having small lofts.  On the electric division there were five more of the same design: Gloversville electric yard, Johnstown near Glebe Street, Tribes Hill Upper, Cranesville and Tower Nine near Scotia.  The Gloversville TH of later years was brought to its location near Pine street after the valuation (1928) possibly from Mayfield or one of the electric division buildings.  Built dates are: Fonda 1913; Mayfield, 1914; Broadalbin 1907; G'ville, J'town and Tribes Hill 1904; Cranesviulle 1906; Tower Nine 1923?.

                        There is/was also one of these buildings, identical to Glovesrville at Willsboro on the D&H.

                        PKL

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        From: p.charlie@...
                        Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:42:32 -0400
                        Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Kit Ideas?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 8, 2012

                          Jerry,

                          I can scan the fjg drawings from MR if you'd like. On a related note, a modeling company is supposed to be releasing a kit of the Adirondack Power and Light building from Cranesville.

                          Gino

                          On Jul 7, 2012 2:21 PM, "handyman756" <handyman756@...> wrote:

                          Paul,
                          I don't have that MR issue. Is that shed the design shown #30 picture in the 1928 ICC set?
                          Jerry

                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                          > Just a thought but... how about a kit for the tool shed that appears in
                          > the 1979 MR. There were a few of these on the property, also looks like
                          > a common NYC design.
                          >
                          > Paul :-)

                        • Jerry Snyder
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 8, 2012
                            Gino,
                            I will keep an eye out for the AP&L kit - always liked that structure.  Do you know if it will be the current building or the original (east half)?  That would be an interesting area to model with the quarry, Lock 10, and AP&L plant.  Lots of potential for West Shore activity there.
                            Jerry

                            I can scan the fjg drawings from MR if you'd like. On a related note, a modeling company is supposed to be releasing a kit of the Adirondack Power and Light building from Cranesville.

                            Gino

                            On Jul 7, 2012 2:21 PM, "handyman756" <handyman756@...> wrote:

                            Paul,
                            I don't have that MR issue. Is that shed the design shown #30 picture in the 1928 ICC set?
                            Jerry

                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                            > Just a thought but... how about a kit for the tool shed that appears in
                            > the 1979 MR. There were a few of these on the property, also looks like
                            > a common NYC design.
                            >
                            > Paul :-)

                          • Jerry Snyder
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 8, 2012
                              Paul,
                              Thanks for the tool shed info.  1928-7 is a better picture and more along the lines of what would be a good kit than 1928-30.  I will pass it along as my cousin seemed interested in possibly taking that on as a project - a he said there are a lot of NYC modelers out there that might be interested too.
                              Jery