Caboose #1

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18 3:52 PM
      Hi guys,

      A guy who is related to the former owner of Rail City in Sandy Creek
      is writing a book about the place and he's trying to figure where all
      the equipment went to. He asked me if I knew where #1 went and if it
      went directly to the place from the FJ&G. Someone told him it went to
      Rail City from the Shelburne Museum. I don't know about that other
      then the fact that #2 was at the Shelburne Museum. We know where that
      caboose is now thank's to Paul finding it.

      I search through old messages and Andy Fusco posted something about
      the auction at Rail City in 1989. He said he saw #2 at the museum and
      that the person who owned #1 was buying #2 so they could restore it.

      Here's my question....Did #2 also make it's way to Sandy Creek or is
      Andy confusing her with #1? Also, did #1 ever go to the Shelburne
      Museum?

      That's all!

      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      http://ginostrolleypage.com
      http://web.me.com/gino.dicarlo/ginosmusicservice/
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18 8:33 PM
        No. 1 went to Sandy Creek, subsequent disposition unknown off the top of my head.  I think I may have or have seen some photos of it at SC in very poor condition.

        No. 2 went to Shelburne Museum then to Dr. Kendal's restoration line at Passumpsic.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18 9:05 PM
          So then #1 is the caboose Andy is thinking of in very bad shape and painted brown at Sandy Creek?  Ok...

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 18 9:19 PM
            Here's the equipment roster for The Passumpsic Railroad...

            LOCOMOTIVES
            NUMBER TYPE SERIAL No. BUILT RECEVED NOTES
            1 2 Truck Heisler 1468
            3 2 Truck Heisler 1415
            W3 GE 25 Ton Ex North Stratford W3.
            10 GE 44 Ton Ex Aroostook Valley 10.
            12 GE 44 Ton Ex Aroostook Valley 12.
            16 GE 44 Ton 27976 Ex Maine Central 16, Aroostook Valley 14.
            5214 Plymouth 5214 1993 Ex New England Power Co. (Fifteen Miles Falls RR)

            PASSENGER CARS
            NUMBER TYPE BUILT RECEVED NOTES
            3 Caboose Ex Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville 3.
            59 Caboose 1920 2012 Ex Rutland RR 81, 31, St Johnsbury & Lake Champlain 59.
            4013 Caboose 1910 1988 Ex Central Vermont 4013.
            Caboose 1921 Ex Boston & Maine 104620, Barre & Chelsea C3, Montpelier & Barre 25.
            Open AIr Ex Maine Central, Conway Scenic

            Maintenece of Way (MOW)
            NUMBER TYPE BUILT RECEVED NOTES
            21 Flanger Ex Vermont Railway 21, Steamtown 21.
            X104 Plow 1924 Ex Rutland X104, Green Mountain X104.
            Crain 1922 1993 Ex New England Power.
            Flanger 1994 Ex Maine Central.
            Plow Ex Aroostook Valley 1MW (Double ended plow made from a steple cab)

            FREIGHT CARS
            NUMBER TYPE BUILT RECEVED NOTES
            4578 Boxcar 2/1930 Ex Central Vermont
            27433 Tank 10/1929 2003 Ex UTLX, Wolfboro RR
            43030 Boxcar 7/1912 Ex Central Vermont
            57623 Flatcar
            Boxcar Ex Central Vermont, Lamoille Valley.
            Boxcar Ex Central Vermont, Suncook Valley.
            Boxcar 2004 Ex New Haven
            Boxcar 2003 Ex Central Vermont, Montpeiler & Barre, Washington County.
            Flatcar PASX has 4 Flatcars from Rock of Ages Ex Boston & Maine.
            Flatcar PASX has 3 flatcars from New England Power Co.
            Side Dump 1980’s Ex New England Power
            Tank 1990’s Ex Barrets.

            Wow, I want to go there!!!!

            Gino

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19 6:01 AM
              I would suggest contacting the Central New York Chapter NRHS for I believe they would have a record of the disposal.  Also Dr. Groman's son operates a rail museum near the former Rail City operation.
              Gordon

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19 6:03 AM
                Where is there?
                Gordon

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19 6:30 AM

                  The Passumsic Railroad in Eastern Vermont.  They have an old steamer there that looks like a heck of a ride!

                  On Apr 19, 2012 9:03 AM, "Gordon Davis" <gdavis4@...> wrote:

                  Where is there?
                  Gordon

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 19 8:06 AM
                    Group,

                    Some time ago I posted images of the No. 1 Caboose in the Files section:

                    The photos were from the collection of Walt Danylak.  They were undated, but appeared to be from the mid-1980s based on the printing paper and etc.  I suspect the negatives may have been from that time, but they could have been from earlier as well.

                    I emailed the current Rail City people two years ago to inquire.  In a response from Bob Groman on March 2nd, 2010, I was told that the caboose was sold in 1993; however, Groman did not know where it went.  So, it went somewhere; the question is where.

                    The CNY NRHS does not appear to have it, unless it's not listed on the Chapter's Web site.

                    I used to know a few Chapter people quite well back in the day; however, it's been many years.

                    The last I heard, FJ&G No. 3 was alleged to still be in the Honesdale area.

                    -Aaron
                  • A. Fusco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 19 9:29 AM
                      Dear Group: It is entirely possible that I did confuse #1 for #2,
                      although I do know the differences between the two, having modeled
                      both. Also my memory could have failed me; alas, it wasn't even
                      until the auction got covered in the Post-Standard that I first
                      realized that the bobber I had seen years early was even ex-FJ&G. So
                      I took no pictures, which would have resolved this and avoided me
                      having to rely on memory at all.

                      The Post Standard article did say that the buyer was a collector in
                      Connecticut, not Vt. ---Andy