Re: [FJGRailroad] Orange Empire Museum

  • Dave Brennan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7 11:12 AM
         I would say it is a tossup .

      --- On Sat, 4/7/12, Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

      From: Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...>
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Orange Empire Museum
      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, April 7, 2012, 10:30 AM

      I meant no offense Jerry!  A worse suggestion would be Gloversville!
      On Apr 7, 2012 12:09 AM, "Jerry Snyder" <handyman756@...> wrote:

      Ouch!  Gino, that's harsh!
      Makes me want to grab the Montgomery Gentry CD and listen to "My Town" a couple times (Billy Joel and "Allentown" would probably be more appropriate. though).

      Seriously, the city historian and I have often frequently discussed what it would take to establish a transportation museum here.  I'd actually like to see a transportation and industry museum given the city's past. Now if we just had some old empty industrial buildings around here somewhere to house it...  The old Chalmers Knitting mill on the South Side would have been perfect - just off the Thruway, right on the river, near the original Erie Canal and NYWS&B ROW - too bad our narrow minded politicians tore it down.  A couple of other possible sites that come to mind - the old Kelloggs and Miller Linseed Oil plant (they built the original AC&N) and the former quarry at the east end where the old Tepee restaurant and motel were (and the remaining AC&N still runs right past it).

      Really enjoyed your conversation with #127, Saul.

      Happy Easter everyone.
      Jerry