Re: [FJGRailroad] The CNYK may roll again....sort of

  • Gordon Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
      If memory serves me correctly I believe that the Frontier Town locomotive was built in the 1950s and was of somewhat light construction.  15" gauge?
      Gordon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2012
        I'm not sure what Gauge the engine is (smaller than 3 foot), but it is
        pretty light. Nothing like what I read in the history of the Utica,
        Chenango and Susquehanna Valley line (Pre-DLW, EL, CNYK) where it was
        6' gauge at one time.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
          Yes, to 6 ft. gauge to interchange with the Erie, also broad-gauge at that time.  However, narrowing came early.  I've supplied some early photos of the Springs branch for publication and there is now a Utica side history in preparation.  Early in the Springs' branch history there were plans to extend the line down the west side of Canadarago lake, it came to naught as did the line from Fort Plain to Cooperstown.  The later was graded and can be followed from Springfield Center north.
          I believe the Frontier loco was built by Wyano who supplied a number of tourist attractions with motive power.
          Gordon