RE: [FJGRailroad] No. 14 and No. 340

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21 11:41 PM
      No 14 dropped its fire sometime shortly after the arrival of the No. 21.  Nos. 8 and 9 were essentially worn out but 9 was available if needed.  I have an inkling that 9 was used maybe once or twice after the 1946 excursion but would have to do some refreshing. Herre's what the Leader said of No. 9 the day the freedom train arrived: "... and is still used now and then on the Broadalbin line when no more than two freight cars are needed."  I think that "now and then" would only have occured if one of the diesels were down.  Providing steam heat for the freedon train was No. 9's last hurrah.  Those photos of No. 8 hauling the baggage car are I think mostly, if not all, from the same day in the late 30's, possibly early forties.  No. 8 was effectively put out of service when it derailed at Johnstown road.  No. 14 and No. 9 were the two reserve locomotives after both diesels arrived.  If either was ever used it was indeed rare; steam required considerable more maintenance and preparation that the diesels.  I doubt they were re-fired once finally put to bed and the engine house and coal loaders assigned other jobs or laid off.

      Re: the 340 and the mail contract, FJ&G trucks (or modified buses) had been carrying the mail since 1930 to points north of Gloversville.  The trolley baggage cars brought it up from Fonda to Johnstown and Gloversville depots until the last day of trolley operation.  I don't recall off the top of my head if the bag cars were supplemented by trucks or not.  After 1938 there were always trucks handling the mail.  The gas car and the trucks each made three round trips Gloversville/Fonda in 1939.  I believe all the Johnstown mail came up by truck and actually I wouldn't be a bit surprised that much of the Gloversville mail came up by truck also.  The gas car handled express and quite possibly the 3rd and 4th class parcel post for the post office, probably not much first class mail but I don't have that for sure.  It was in 1958 that trucks substituted for the gas car.  Doing some checking, I found a note that trucks were handling the mail Fonda to Gloversville on April 24, 1938.

      What has many confused is that there were two functions here, one, and a large part, was express, the second was the mail.  The gas car would handle mail to/from the trucks at Gloversville for the Gloversville PO, and it would handle express at the REA offices in Johnstown (south end of the freight house), Gloversville (depot, then the north end of the freight house after the depot was closed) and Fonda NYC depot.

      Paul

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:13:47 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] No. 14 and No. 340

      I have a few questions re:  No. 14 and No. 340.

      Re:  No. 14, how did the locomotive spend the end of its life?  We know No. 8 was mostly in storage until December, 1950, when it went to scrap.  We know No. 9 was also mostly in storage until it also went to scrap in December, 1950.  Both took occasional assignments filling in for No. 340 by pulling a baggage car.  We also know No. 9 provided heat for the Freedom Train and that No. 9 also was 'on display' in Fonda for the Fourth of July, 1950.  But what of No. 14?  Did it work the yards in Gloversville and switch the Gloversville industries until it went to scrap in 1954?  Or, did it also sit in storage?

      Re:  No. 340, it has been mentioned on this list that the railroad lost the mail contract in 1964.  Is that date correct?  No. 340 was sold in 1960 — again, is that correct?  How did the railroad handle mail after No. 340 left the property but before losing the mail contract?