RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Scrapping No. 20 & 21

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
      About those tokens.  They were a standard size, except for the Amsterdam nickel tokens and could be used in the NYCity subway and other bus lines.  If a token was used off system the carrier could bill the cost back to the token owner - not unlike other forms of interline settlements.   Hence the need to keep them locked up.  Today  I don't believe tokens of this type are used anywhere for transit.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: mwilber2001@...
      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Scrapping No. 20 & 21

      Paul-A lot of those documents and old office supplies were stored upstairs of the freight office. I had gone up there a few times and looked over the old ledgers.Most were payroll ledgers,some dating back in the 30's & 40's.Old typewriters and bags of tokens were up there.After a
      while,Walt had the upstairs clean out,and what happen to the contents,no idea.

      From: mwilber2001@...
      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

      When I worked on the FJG. I did get a bag of tokens when they had the trolley.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
        Yep and #6 brake,and also no dynamic braking.When applying the automatic,the air was so load that you couldnt hear anything until the air stopped blowing.
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
          The Suzy-Q (Ontrack) passenger train that they were running in Syracuse a few years ago used the FJ&G tokens as fair.  My father-in-law took Ontrack to SU for a football game, bought an extra token since he figured I didn't have one.

          People would send them to me and say they picked it up in Syracuse and I probably didn't have one.  I can't remember which size is the common sized token, but I received the uncommon sized token when my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It was in her change purse after all these years!

          Gino

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: mwilber2001@...
          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: mwilber2001@...
          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
            I know the plates were gone at some point when they were still in Gloversville. I want to say this was about 1984 when I shot them w/o the plates. I will have to go back further to see when it was that I shot them with the builder's plates on.....

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
              This thread has been around before. I recall seeing the units in LF and they were unmolested for quite some time

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 16, 2012
                I know both were stolen off of one of the units,not sure which one.I was working the ground work one day and noticed they were gone,I reported it to Cooperstown at the time,but no one really cared about it.

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com