Re: [FJGRailroad] Scrapping No. 20 & 21

  • jsesonske@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
      Good point. My opinion is he might have been a Rail Historian but not much of a preservationist which is a real shame as over the years a lot of really good pieces of equipment passed thru the DO-NYSW. Of course you need a willing recipient able to take and care for the item. Even though its not pure FJG, I still have an attachment to the 103, and now thats rotting away under the ownership of an historical society. I sure hope the 103 does not get cut up.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
        The 103 is my favorite engine!  When I saw that get restored I was very happy.  I don't know why they're not taking care of it!  Who can I contact to inquire about the situation?

        Gino

        --

      • jsesonske@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

          Go to the roster tab, RDG 492, original number.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
            When I heard about the request about the 116 will be removed from the CACV,and the next time I came in contact with Walt and Joe Shynezcen (?),I asked about it. I was told by Joe that the 116 was a loaner until the CACV group find another locomotive.It was also agreed that the NYSW could take back the 116 was needed,but would give them amp time to replace it.I dont know if actually Walt own that,a guy name Del Button ,which was on the Board of Directors,was the owner when it first came on our property.If Walt loaned it from him,or given to Walt,or bought by Walt; no idea. I did thought the same thing about being used then put aside. Our union was putting great pressure on the company on not using. No hand railings,horn too loud,excessive exhaust,no toliets,not equipped with required arm rests.Engine was so loud,couldn't hear the radio.Just an unsafe unit to use for frieght service.

            http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819922
            http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819933

            http://fjgrr.org/
            http://ginosrailpage.com/
            http://ginostrolleypage.com/
            http://web.me.com/gino.dicarlo/ginosmusicservice/

            --

          • Mark Wilber
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
              When I worked on the FJG. I did get a bag of tokens when they had the trolley.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

                And #6 brake.....

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                  IIRC, there were bushel bags full of tokens kept in a room adjacent the freight office.  There must be tens of thousands of those available to the collectors.  They were originally kept in the vaults of the GOB which burned in 1969.  The contents were moved across the street after the fire.

                  Mark, do you know what happened to the mass of documents that remained in the room when DO took over in 1974?  DFN and I had the opportunity to go through them one afternoon, however there wasn't time to look at everything.

                  PKL

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mwilber2001@...
                  Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                    Paul-A lot of those documents and old office supplies were stored upstairs of the freight office. I had gone up there a few times and looked over the old ledgers.Most were payroll ledgers,some dating back in the 30's & 40's.Old typewriters and bags of tokens were up there.After a
                    while,Walt had the upstairs clean out,and what happen to the contents,no idea.

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mwilber2001@...
                    Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                      About those tokens.  They were a standard size, except for the Amsterdam nickel tokens and could be used in the NYCity subway and other bus lines.  If a token was used off system the carrier could bill the cost back to the token owner - not unlike other forms of interline settlements.   Hence the need to keep them locked up.  Today  I don't believe tokens of this type are used anywhere for transit.

                      PKL

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mwilber2001@...
                      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      From: mwilber2001@...
                      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                        Yep and #6 brake,and also no dynamic braking.When applying the automatic,the air was so load that you couldnt hear anything until the air stopped blowing.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                          The Suzy-Q (Ontrack) passenger train that they were running in Syracuse a few years ago used the FJ&G tokens as fair.  My father-in-law took Ontrack to SU for a football game, bought an extra token since he figured I didn't have one.

                          People would send them to me and say they picked it up in Syracuse and I probably didn't have one.  I can't remember which size is the common sized token, but I received the uncommon sized token when my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It was in her change purse after all these years!

                          Gino

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mwilber2001@...
                          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mwilber2001@...
                          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                            I know the plates were gone at some point when they were still in Gloversville. I want to say this was about 1984 when I shot them w/o the plates. I will have to go back further to see when it was that I shot them with the builder's plates on.....

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                              This thread has been around before. I recall seeing the units in LF and they were unmolested for quite some time

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 16, 2012
                                I know both were stolen off of one of the units,not sure which one.I was working the ground work one day and noticed they were gone,I reported it to Cooperstown at the time,but no one really cared about it.

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com