Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Scrapping No. 20 & 21

  • Mark Wilber
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
      Just think,I had golden opportunity to take anything off those units,and I never did.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
        IIRC it was just one or two of the builder's plates was/were stolen, not all.  The others were then removed by Walter or Jerry (?) and placed inside the locomotives for safekeeping.  Each I suspect is in a collection somewhere.  Every time I see an Alco plate on eBay from either '45 or '46 I recheck the number.  The markers must also be in a collection; they were generic for the manufacturer so could never today be given positive attribution to the FJ&G.  The markers on the 30 were NYC&HRR cut down and those on the 340 may have been actually marked FJ&G - there is one at the FC Museum on Kingsboro Ave. so marked.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        From: mwilber2001@...
        Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 05:07:27 -0800
        Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Scrapping No. 20 & 21

[...]

        -Aaron

      • jsesonske@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
          If I recall, both plates on the 21 were stolen. It was probably at that point that someone decided to take the plates off the 20 for safekeeping.

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: mwilber2001@...
          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 05:07:27 -0800

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
            When they were in Gloversville or down on the NYSW?

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
              The thing that get's me is Walter was not only a Railfan but a Rail Historian. His passion especially for the O&W was legendary. Just think on his behest the NW2 #116 was shipped to Arkville at a cost exceeding two hundred thousand dollars.

              But I still scratch my head to why he scrapped both of these units. Look at all the Junk that they never ended up scrapping that survived out in Utica until recently but he had these units on the fast track to destruction. Absolute shame and travesty! IMOP....

              Dean

              On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

              I just found these shots, which appear to have been posted at the very end of last year:

              The photos are dated 7/3/1987 and the caption states, "[t]his was the Friday before they were cut up."

              That is the most precise date I have ever seen for the scrapping.

              Dean J. Splittgerber, Duanesburg, NY

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                The thing that gets me is that Walter took the 116 from the CACV and told them to find their own engine.  He puts it in service for a short time then it gets donated to Arkville.  I didn't get that...

                --

              • jsesonske@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                  Good point. My opinion is he might have been a Rail Historian but not much of a preservationist which is a real shame as over the years a lot of really good pieces of equipment passed thru the DO-NYSW. Of course you need a willing recipient able to take and care for the item. Even though its not pure FJG, I still have an attachment to the 103, and now thats rotting away under the ownership of an historical society. I sure hope the 103 does not get cut up.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                    The 103 is my favorite engine!  When I saw that get restored I was very happy.  I don't know why they're not taking care of it!  Who can I contact to inquire about the situation?

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

                      Go to the roster tab, RDG 492, original number.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                        When I heard about the request about the 116 will be removed from the CACV,and the next time I came in contact with Walt and Joe Shynezcen (?),I asked about it. I was told by Joe that the 116 was a loaner until the CACV group find another locomotive.It was also agreed that the NYSW could take back the 116 was needed,but would give them amp time to replace it.I dont know if actually Walt own that,a guy name Del Button ,which was on the Board of Directors,was the owner when it first came on our property.If Walt loaned it from him,or given to Walt,or bought by Walt; no idea. I did thought the same thing about being used then put aside. Our union was putting great pressure on the company on not using. No hand railings,horn too loud,excessive exhaust,no toliets,not equipped with required arm rests.Engine was so loud,couldn't hear the radio.Just an unsafe unit to use for frieght service.

                        http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819922
                        http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819933

                        http://fjgrr.org/
                        http://ginosrailpage.com/
                        http://ginostrolleypage.com/
                        http://web.me.com/gino.dicarlo/ginosmusicservice/

                        --

                      • Mark Wilber
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                          When I worked on the FJG. I did get a bag of tokens when they had the trolley.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

                            And #6 brake.....

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                              IIRC, there were bushel bags full of tokens kept in a room adjacent the freight office.  There must be tens of thousands of those available to the collectors.  They were originally kept in the vaults of the GOB which burned in 1969.  The contents were moved across the street after the fire.

                              Mark, do you know what happened to the mass of documents that remained in the room when DO took over in 1974?  DFN and I had the opportunity to go through them one afternoon, however there wasn't time to look at everything.

                              PKL

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              From: mwilber2001@...
                              Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                Paul-A lot of those documents and old office supplies were stored upstairs of the freight office. I had gone up there a few times and looked over the old ledgers.Most were payroll ledgers,some dating back in the 30's & 40's.Old typewriters and bags of tokens were up there.After a
                                while,Walt had the upstairs clean out,and what happen to the contents,no idea.

                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                From: mwilber2001@...
                                Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                  About those tokens.  They were a standard size, except for the Amsterdam nickel tokens and could be used in the NYCity subway and other bus lines.  If a token was used off system the carrier could bill the cost back to the token owner - not unlike other forms of interline settlements.   Hence the need to keep them locked up.  Today  I don't believe tokens of this type are used anywhere for transit.

                                  PKL

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mwilber2001@...
                                  Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: mwilber2001@...
                                  Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                    Yep and #6 brake,and also no dynamic braking.When applying the automatic,the air was so load that you couldnt hear anything until the air stopped blowing.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                      The Suzy-Q (Ontrack) passenger train that they were running in Syracuse a few years ago used the FJ&G tokens as fair.  My father-in-law took Ontrack to SU for a football game, bought an extra token since he figured I didn't have one.

                                      People would send them to me and say they picked it up in Syracuse and I probably didn't have one.  I can't remember which size is the common sized token, but I received the uncommon sized token when my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It was in her change purse after all these years!

                                      Gino

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: mwilber2001@...
                                      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: mwilber2001@...
                                      Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                        I know the plates were gone at some point when they were still in Gloversville. I want to say this was about 1984 when I shot them w/o the plates. I will have to go back further to see when it was that I shot them with the builder's plates on.....

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                          This thread has been around before. I recall seeing the units in LF and they were unmolested for quite some time

                                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 16, 2012
                                            I know both were stolen off of one of the units,not sure which one.I was working the ground work one day and noticed they were gone,I reported it to Cooperstown at the time,but no one really cared about it.

                                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com