RE: [FJGRailroad] Scrapping No. 20 & 21

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 14, 2012
      Those photos are saddening.  For my part, better never to see those locomotives in that condition.  A proper scrapping would not have let them linger around for parts before their ultimate demise.  Except for very brief opportunities to see No. 340 and No. 30 operating in regular service in the mid fifties, those two locomotives were the public persona of the company from their purchase until the closing.  Even under DO ownership, while they retained their colors they reminded me of our railroad.  DO was DO; the DO never met the criteria which endeared the FJ&G to me and others old enough to have experienced the men and machines of the FJ&G.

      It was what it was.  For the generations who have no idea what the railroad yards and industries of Johnstown and Gloversville were like in their final years of prosperity, I hope before I (or you) die that record will be recorded in the final volume of the FJ&G history.  Really should sit down and start writing again.  Election is March 6, to which I say Amen, either way.

      Paul

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:51:51 -0800
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Scrapping No. 20 & 21

      I just found these shots, which appear to have been posted at the very end of last year:
      http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819922
      http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819933

      The photos are dated 7/3/1987 and the caption states, "[t]his was the Friday before they were cut up."

      That is the most precise date I have ever seen for the scrapping.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 14, 2012
        This guy got a hold of me a few years back and told me he took these pictures.  He sent me
        scans, but the quality wasn't very good.  I told him to send me his slides and I would use
        the high-end scanner we have at work and I would even make him proofs of the slides.  He
        told me he'd think about it and never contacted me again.

        He first contacted me to comment on the scrapping photo I have and to say the date was wrong.
        He insists that the date of 7/3/87 is correct.

        Gino

        On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

        I just found these shots, which appear to have been posted at the very end of last year:

        The photos are dated 7/3/1987 and the caption states, "[t]his was the Friday before they were cut up."

        That is the most precise date I have ever seen for the scrapping.

      • akeller_1979
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 14, 2012
          Gino,

          I had forgotten that you had dates attached to your scrapping photos.

          Your first shot is dated April, 1987; your second is dated June 5th, 1987. Perhaps they sat around for another month until July, 1987? It is unlikely the job was a critical one and they may have done it "when men and time were available."

          It has long been stated that parts to one or both of the FJ&G units went into the rebuild of NYS&W No. 206. It is possible that the units were slowly picked clean for a few years leading up to the Summer of '87.

          According to this, No. 206 had been rebuilt back in '85:
          http://www.maywoodstation.com/NYSW206_1.htm

          It is too bad a few 'parts' to the FJ&G units didn't remain. I would have liked to have had the number boards, the bells, the throttles, or whatever else I could have. The builder's plates, the marker lamps, and the original horns were removed in Gloversville. I wonder where they all went. (Paul?)

          -Aaron
        • jsesonske@aol.com

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 14, 2012
              Yes, the builders plates were stolen off the S2s in Gloversville Yard.  I have a news article from 1975 about one being stolen.  I think Mark Wilber told me the other was stolen before it left the property.

              Gino

              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • Mark Wilber

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                  IIRC it was just one or two of the builder's plates was/were stolen, not all.  The others were then removed by Walter or Jerry (?) and placed inside the locomotives for safekeeping.  Each I suspect is in a collection somewhere.  Every time I see an Alco plate on eBay from either '45 or '46 I recheck the number.  The markers must also be in a collection; they were generic for the manufacturer so could never today be given positive attribution to the FJ&G.  The markers on the 30 were NYC&HRR cut down and those on the 340 may have been actually marked FJ&G - there is one at the FC Museum on Kingsboro Ave. so marked.

                  PKL

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mwilber2001@...
                  Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 05:07:27 -0800
                  Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Scrapping No. 20 & 21

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                    If I recall, both plates on the 21 were stolen. It was probably at that point that someone decided to take the plates off the 20 for safekeeping.

                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mwilber2001@...
                    Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 05:07:27 -0800

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                      When they were in Gloversville or down on the NYSW?

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                        The thing that get's me is Walter was not only a Railfan but a Rail Historian. His passion especially for the O&W was legendary. Just think on his behest the NW2 #116 was shipped to Arkville at a cost exceeding two hundred thousand dollars.

                        But I still scratch my head to why he scrapped both of these units. Look at all the Junk that they never ended up scrapping that survived out in Utica until recently but he had these units on the fast track to destruction. Absolute shame and travesty! IMOP....

                        Dean

                        On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                        I just found these shots, which appear to have been posted at the very end of last year:

                        The photos are dated 7/3/1987 and the caption states, "[t]his was the Friday before they were cut up."

                        That is the most precise date I have ever seen for the scrapping.

                        Dean J. Splittgerber, Duanesburg, NY

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                          The thing that gets me is that Walter took the 116 from the CACV and told them to find their own engine.  He puts it in service for a short time then it gets donated to Arkville.  I didn't get that...

                          --

                        • jsesonske@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                            Good point. My opinion is he might have been a Rail Historian but not much of a preservationist which is a real shame as over the years a lot of really good pieces of equipment passed thru the DO-NYSW. Of course you need a willing recipient able to take and care for the item. Even though its not pure FJG, I still have an attachment to the 103, and now thats rotting away under the ownership of an historical society. I sure hope the 103 does not get cut up.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                              The 103 is my favorite engine!  When I saw that get restored I was very happy.  I don't know why they're not taking care of it!  Who can I contact to inquire about the situation?

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

                                Go to the roster tab, RDG 492, original number.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                  When I heard about the request about the 116 will be removed from the CACV,and the next time I came in contact with Walt and Joe Shynezcen (?),I asked about it. I was told by Joe that the 116 was a loaner until the CACV group find another locomotive.It was also agreed that the NYSW could take back the 116 was needed,but would give them amp time to replace it.I dont know if actually Walt own that,a guy name Del Button ,which was on the Board of Directors,was the owner when it first came on our property.If Walt loaned it from him,or given to Walt,or bought by Walt; no idea. I did thought the same thing about being used then put aside. Our union was putting great pressure on the company on not using. No hand railings,horn too loud,excessive exhaust,no toliets,not equipped with required arm rests.Engine was so loud,couldn't hear the radio.Just an unsafe unit to use for frieght service.

                                  http://fjgrr.org/
                                  http://ginosrailpage.com/
                                  http://ginostrolleypage.com/
                                  http://web.me.com/gino.dicarlo/ginosmusicservice/

                                  --

                                • Mark Wilber
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                    When I worked on the FJG. I did get a bag of tokens when they had the trolley.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012

                                      And #6 brake.....

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                        IIRC, there were bushel bags full of tokens kept in a room adjacent the freight office.  There must be tens of thousands of those available to the collectors.  They were originally kept in the vaults of the GOB which burned in 1969.  The contents were moved across the street after the fire.

                                        Mark, do you know what happened to the mass of documents that remained in the room when DO took over in 1974?  DFN and I had the opportunity to go through them one afternoon, however there wasn't time to look at everything.

                                        PKL

                                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: mwilber2001@...
                                        Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                          Paul-A lot of those documents and old office supplies were stored upstairs of the freight office. I had gone up there a few times and looked over the old ledgers.Most were payroll ledgers,some dating back in the 30's & 40's.Old typewriters and bags of tokens were up there.After a
                                          while,Walt had the upstairs clean out,and what happen to the contents,no idea.

                                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: mwilber2001@...
                                          Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                            About those tokens.  They were a standard size, except for the Amsterdam nickel tokens and could be used in the NYCity subway and other bus lines.  If a token was used off system the carrier could bill the cost back to the token owner - not unlike other forms of interline settlements.   Hence the need to keep them locked up.  Today  I don't believe tokens of this type are used anywhere for transit.

                                            PKL

                                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mwilber2001@...
                                            Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: mwilber2001@...
                                            Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                              Yep and #6 brake,and also no dynamic braking.When applying the automatic,the air was so load that you couldnt hear anything until the air stopped blowing.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                                The Suzy-Q (Ontrack) passenger train that they were running in Syracuse a few years ago used the FJ&G tokens as fair.  My father-in-law took Ontrack to SU for a football game, bought an extra token since he figured I didn't have one.

                                                People would send them to me and say they picked it up in Syracuse and I probably didn't have one.  I can't remember which size is the common sized token, but I received the uncommon sized token when my grandmother passed away a few years ago.  It was in her change purse after all these years!

                                                Gino

                                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: mwilber2001@...
                                                Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

                                                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: mwilber2001@...
                                                Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:17:16 -0800

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                                  I know the plates were gone at some point when they were still in Gloversville. I want to say this was about 1984 when I shot them w/o the plates. I will have to go back further to see when it was that I shot them with the builder's plates on.....

                                                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 15, 2012
                                                    This thread has been around before. I recall seeing the units in LF and they were unmolested for quite some time

                                                    To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 16, 2012
                                                      I know both were stolen off of one of the units,not sure which one.I was working the ground work one day and noticed they were gone,I reported it to Cooperstown at the time,but no one really cared about it.

                                                      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com