Re: Bigelow Sanford Mack

  • akeller_1979
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 15, 2011
      I found a reference online to a Bigelow Sanford GE 25-Ton switcher working at another Bigelow Sanford mill in CT. I am assuming it's the same one. The GE builder's records indicate that the company only owned one 25-tonner. We assume it was in Amsterdam based on the lettering in the movie clip.
      Here is a photo of the locomotive taken in Connecticut:
      http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-b/bsx-20Tgea.jpg

      Here is a photo of the locomotive in more modern times:
      http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/ennis-paikin.htm
      The builder's number matches, but it appears to have been modified some over the years. (See below.)

      http://www.locomotives.net/locomotives.html
      That is the locomotive dealer's Web site referenced in the preceding Web site. It makes no mention of that locomotive (b/n 29854) currently in inventory. But... I did find this... so... who knows?
      http://www.locomotives.net/25tge.html
      It does reference that the locomotive was reconditioned/rebuilt, which explains its spiffy appearance on the Trainweb site.

      I can't find anything further. Perhaps a friendly email to that locomotive dealer is in order, if someone cares to undertake that measure.

      -Aaron
    • nydepot
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 16, 2011
        Thanks Jerry! My guess is the Mack-built engine would be in a similar paint. Great find.

        Charles