Bigelow Sanford Mack

  • nydepot
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 8 9:20 AM
      Has anyone ever found a photo of this engine? Thanks.

      Charles Woolever
    • Dean Splittgerber
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8 9:29 AM

        Len Killian might.

        On Dec 8, 2011 12:20 PM, "nydepot" <yahoo@...> wrote:

        Has anyone ever found a photo of this engine? Thanks.

        Charles Woolever

      • Jason C
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8 9:42 AM
          According to a thread on the Railway Preservation News forum, this unit is now on the Black River & Western.  Pictures here:

          http://photos.greatrails.net/search/searchresults.modperl?SEARCHTYPE=ADVANCED&PAGE=1&SEARCHSTRING=mack&BOOL=ANY&RAILROAD=ANY&POSTER=Jerry&PHMS=&PHDS=&PHYS=&PHME=&PHDE=&PHYE=&POMS=&PODS=&POYS=&POME=&PODE=&POYE=

          RPN thread:

          http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18140&view=next

          Hope this helps.

          Jason Cook

          New Haven, IN

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 12 3:49 PM
            Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a shot in B-S paint.

            Charles

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Jason C <dhc628@...> wrote:

            > According to a thread on the Railway Preservation News forum, this unit is now on the Black River & Western.  Pictures here:
            >
            > http://photos.greatrails.net/search/searchresults.modperl?SEARCHTYPE=ADVANCED&PAGE=1&SEARCHSTRING=mack&BOOL=ANY&RAILROAD=ANY&POSTER=Jerry&PHMS=&PHDS=&PHYS=&PHME=&PHDE=&PHYE=&POMS=&PODS=&POYS=&POME=&PODE=&POYE=
            >
            > RPN thread:
            >
            > http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18140&view=next
            >

            > Hope this helps.
            >

            > Jason Cook
            >
            > New Haven, IN

          • Jerry Snyder
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 13 2:48 PM
              Charles,
              Check out 0:56 to 1:03 in this clip. It's the B-S engine moving a string of box cars.  Colors look to be black and white.
              http://www.archive.org/ details/HowTexti1948
              Jerry

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14 6:15 AM
                  Wait a minute, now.  The locomotive shown in that movie clip is in no way the same locomotive in the still photo archive on NE-Rail.

                  The clip shows a GE 25-tonner.  The Bigelow-Sanford bought it new from GE.  It's not a Mack.  See GE builder's number 29854, 8/1948.

                  The "Mack" seen in the still photos was built in 1927.  From Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Company, it supposedly went to Harrison Warehousing, and then to Crucible Steel.

                  So, they had the Mack, then probably sold it, and then probably got the GE to replace it.  Probably.  Unless someone can point to something that shows they used both in tandem.

                  I wonder what happened to the GE.

                  -Aaron
                • Dean Splittgerber
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 14 7:41 AM
                    I wonder where the GE is today?

                    Jerry that was Awesome.....

                    Dean

                    On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

                    Wait a minute, now.  The locomotive shown in that movie clip is in no way the same locomotive in the still photo archive on NE-Rail.

                    The clip shows a GE 25-tonner.  The Bigelow-Sanford bought it new from GE.  It's not a Mack.  See GE builder's number 29854, 8/1948.

                    The "Mack" seen in the still photos was built in 1927.  From Bigelow-Sanford Carpet Company, it supposedly went to Harrison Warehousing, and then to Crucible Steel.

                    So, they had the Mack, then probably sold it, and then probably got the GE to replace it.  Probably.  Unless someone can point to something that shows they used both in tandem.

                    I wonder what happened to the GE.

                    Dean J. Splittgerber, Duanesburg, NY

                  • Jerry Snyder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14 5:17 PM
                      We have to thank Peter Sefton for discovering that clip for us.  Maybe he'll come up with some info on the engines in his thesis research.  I've gone through a number of newspaper stories from fultonhistory.com but have yet to find anything about either engine mentioned.
                      Jerry

                        --

                      • akeller_1979
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 15 12:07 AM
                          I found a reference online to a Bigelow Sanford GE 25-Ton switcher working at another Bigelow Sanford mill in CT. I am assuming it's the same one. The GE builder's records indicate that the company only owned one 25-tonner. We assume it was in Amsterdam based on the lettering in the movie clip.
                          Here is a photo of the locomotive taken in Connecticut:
                          http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-b/bsx-20Tgea.jpg

                          Here is a photo of the locomotive in more modern times:
                          http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/ennis-paikin.htm
                          The builder's number matches, but it appears to have been modified some over the years. (See below.)

                          http://www.locomotives.net/locomotives.html
                          That is the locomotive dealer's Web site referenced in the preceding Web site. It makes no mention of that locomotive (b/n 29854) currently in inventory. But... I did find this... so... who knows?
                          http://www.locomotives.net/25tge.html
                          It does reference that the locomotive was reconditioned/rebuilt, which explains its spiffy appearance on the Trainweb site.

                          I can't find anything further. Perhaps a friendly email to that locomotive dealer is in order, if someone cares to undertake that measure.

                          -Aaron
                        • nydepot
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 16 10:06 AM
                            Thanks Jerry! My guess is the Mack-built engine would be in a similar paint. Great find.

                            Charles