Another piece gone

  • handyman756
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2011
      Another relic of the FJ&G disappeared this past week with some repaving work on Division Street in Amsterdam. The block between Henrietta and Evelyn Streets was repaved. The old car barn used to be located on the southeast corner of Division and Henrietta, and three sets of tracks leading into the area were still there, pushing their way up through the payment on a regular basis. No more. With the last repaving job they also tore up the parking lot in front of the location of the car barn and pulled everything out. I don't know if they took the tracks out of the street for the whole length of the block; the tracks are still in Division Street from the western city line all the way to Market Street with the possible exception of that one block section. They are visible in several places - just look for the long narrow potholes and the rails are right there a couple of inches below the street level. I understand there was a pile of rail stacked up down there but by the time I heard about it everything was gone. The only remnant of the FJ&G down there now is the old sub-station. That was most recently a Fucillo dealership and is currently being used to house and restore the contents of the Walter Elwood Museum damaged in the Irene and Lee flooding.
      Jerry