F-MCC: Going global with our history

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4 4:07 PM
      F-MCC: Going global with our history
      For the Recorder
      Whenever opportunities for collaboration and knowledge-building
      activities come to our attention, the Evans Library moves
      enthusiastically to participate. On the local level, we have digitized
      historical society and museum collection items in the
      Fulton-Montgomery Photographic Archives <http://fmphotoarchives.org>.
      Globally, we contribute and provide access to WorldCat
      <http://worldcat.org>, a catalog which places the world's resources at
      users' fingertips. The Evans Library embraces the opportunity to join
      with other educational and cultural institutions to share resources,
      provide access to information, support education, and promote
      life-long learning.
      One of our more recent endeavors is a new partnership with regional
      libraries and museums in digitizing items of interest and
      disseminating them via the World Wide Web. In 2007, the Capital
      District Library Council obtained a federal Library Services and
      Technology Act grant to digitize material from selected organizations
      throughout New York State's Capital Region including Albany, Fulton,
      Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie,
      Warren, and Washington counties. Recently, this regional site was
      merged with other Library councils into one state-wide collection
      called the New York Heritage Digital Collections
      <http://www.newyorkheritage.org/>. Their website contains items from
      over 160 distinct digital collections that reflect New York State's
      long history.
      To provide unique materials to New York citizens and historical
      scholars, the Evans Library proposed adding the Nestle Railroad
      materials to the effort. This collection, donated to the Evans
      Library's Kenneth R. Dorn Regional History Studies Center in 2001, is
      comprised of the historical records of the Fonda, Johnstown, and
      Gloversville (FJ&G) Railroad. It provides a history of commercial
      transportation in the Mohawk Valley during the 19th and 20th centuries
      and is unique in its focus on a local railroad industry and business.
      Senior Library Clerk Trish Battisti was trained in the software and
      processes used to digitize these historic items and, with the help of
      local historian Peter Betz and railroad expert Paul Larner, input 20
      unique records which were made public when the site went live in March
      While looking at the site itself is the best way to see what has been
      accomplished, a few of the items bear a quick view that exemplifies
      the kinds of records in the online Nestle collection to date. A
      document from 1907 titled "Sacandaga Route to the Adirondacks"
      provides a look at a local one-way passenger tariff for the FJ&G
      Railroad. This item lists the cost of traveling to surrounding
      communities such as Fonda, Sammonsville, Mayfield, and the Sacandaga
      Park. Another interesting item is featured on the New York Heritage
      site during the month of October. The undated photograph shows a
      Gloversville railroad car just after it ran into a Fonda car in front
      of the Gloversville car barns. Additional photos and documents of
      interest will be added as time allows.
      Please go online and take a look at our collection now that we've
      'gone global' -- you'll be glad you did!
      Mary Donohue is Professor and Library Director of Evans Library.