2011 Get Together

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5 9:22 PM
      Hello All,

      This year's assembly of the faithful and the curious will be held on October 8. Center piece for this year is the Eber Davis photo collection which will be presented to the Evans Library, Dorn History Room collection as part of our afternoon meeting.

      The schedule as always is loose with the exception of our time at FMCC. A morning breakfast will open the day at 8:30 AM at Travers Diner, located on the Arterial highway, Rte 30A where Kingsboro Avenue meets the arterial. Take a right at the light if coming from Johnstown and the diner is in sight, as I recall. A google earth search would be a good idea to pin point the location. Nothing formal planned; conversation, Q&A, coffee and whatever then we will take a look around the community, possibly a few then and now photo opportunities in Gloversville and Johnstown. A walk about in the Hill St. area and a pass through the former industrial park are available. Between Hill street and South Main, Beaver street there's a bit of history for exploration.

      I am hoping a special guest can join us for breakfast, but this is dependent on several factors. If this happens we may not get out.

      Between 11:00 and 12:00 we will reconvene at the Evans Library at FMCC on the Fort Johnson Road, East State Street in Johnstown continues to Ft. Johnson and passes the FMCC campus. Again it would be best to do a map search if you are not sure where it is. Some time will be required for setting up at FMCC.

      Three programs are scheduled for the afternoon. I will do a perspective on Eber's work from the late forties up to the transfer of the company to DO. One side or the other of this, the collection will be presented. Jerry will do the electric lines of the Amsterdam division; and Gino will present the DO years on the FJ&G.

      It looks like a full slate. We must exit FMCC by 4:00 when we can proceed to see whatever else we wish to visit or revisit, perhaps the images from the presentations will stimulate a desire to explore a particular location not yet seen.

      Dinner is as usual at the RailYard restaurant located in Gloversville on the south side of West Fulton Street adjacent to the location of the former FJ&G freight yard. If you are able to join us for dinner please let Jerry Snyder know via this list.

      Please let me know your intention to attend so I may prepare name tags for yourself and guests.

      Any questions re 10/8?

      PKL
    • Gordon Davis
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 6 6:18 AM
        I must send my regrets for that is a most busy weekend.
        Have fun.
        Gordon D.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 6 3:29 PM
          Hi Paul,
          Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but things around here are - unsettled.  Anyway, we're good with the Railyard for 5:30 on the 8th and the area seems to be holding together well enough that we should be able to get to FMCC and the environs without too much inconvenience wrt traveling and roads.

          Have to get going on the program.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6 6:33 PM
            October 8 is now FIRMLY etched in my date book............I still want to take a ride on the extant FJ&G electric division trackage...........

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: gdavis4@...
            Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:18:37 -0400
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] 2011 Get Together

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6 8:52 PM
              Joe,  We will have an opportunity to see what's left over there.

              PKL

              To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: riverlinejoe@...
              Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 01:33:44 +0000

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: gdavis4@...
              Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:18:37 -0400

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 7 4:00 PM
                Hello All,

                I have some family issues that don't allow me to travel, and I am really sorry to miss this day.

                I have been friends with Eber's younger (middle) brother Martin since our Estee Jr. HS days when we moved to the FJ&G side of East 11th Ave.  At the time the boys' father was the chief gardener in the Loeben's greenhouses on N Main at the FJ&G crossing.

                Marty took me to see Eber's layout several years ago.  It was a joy to see part of it at the FCM during our visit to Upstate last year.

                Marty also gave me a CD of Eber's photos that Eber and his wife spent days/years taking; the entire ROW from Fonda to Broadalbin at least every mile from both directions and many selected views of the industries and businesses that the Railroad served.  It was a labor of love for Eber as his forward in Paul's FJ&G history book indicates.

                So I wish all you folks a good day.  Sorry to miss this get together.  Paul, congratulations to you and Jerry for putting it together.

                Best wishes

                Dick Finn

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7 5:10 PM
                  Dick,

                  I'll miss you and Sandra!  Wish you were coming...

                  Gino

                  On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Richard A. Finn <rafinn@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Glenn J. Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 25 4:26 PM
                    I am afraid that I will have to add my name to the growing list of "no shows" this year.

                    My wife is currently recovering from major surgery in August and a second surgery two weeks later (thanks to negligent care at a local rehab facility).

                    Have a good time, all, and I will be thinking of you come the weekend of the 8th.

                    Glenn
                    Penacook, NH
                  • Gino DiCarlo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 25 6:08 PM
                      Say it ain't so Glenn! Please let your wife know that she's in my prayers!

                      Gino

                      "Glenn J. Williams" <gjwilliams@...> wrote:

                      >I am afraid that I will have to add my name to the growing list of "no shows" this year.
                      >
                      >My wife is currently recovering from major surgery in August and a second surgery two weeks later (thanks to negligent care at a local rehab facility).
                      >
                      >Have a good time, all, and I will be thinking of you come the weekend of the 8th.
                      >
                      > Glenn
                      >Penacook, NH

                    • A. Fusco
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 26 6:15 AM
                        Dear Group: This will confirm that I will be attending the Get Together
                        a week from Saturday. Looking forward to it. ---Andy Fusco