Re: Caboose No. 2

  • A. Fusco
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2011
      Dear FJ&Gers: For reasons unknown, I'm still having trouble be able to
      post on the Yahoo site. Please accept this email as a sub in the
      meantime.

      I saw #2 when it was at Rail City in about 1989. It was in deplorable
      condition, and quite frankly I didn't recognize it as #2 at the time.
      It was re-painted in a color closer to brown than red and was devoid of
      readable lettering. I only came to realize that was #2 when the Rail
      City rolling stock was auctioned off over a dozen years ago. The
      Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper covered the auction and identified the
      bobber as ex-FJ&G #2. The paper said that it was purchased at the
      auction by a Connecticut collector who also owned #1, and that he
      intended to restore #2 back to FJ&G livery.

      The newspaper did not state his name or address, or even whether the
      place that he stores his collection is in Connecticut, or somewhere
      else.

      See you guys in October for the get-together. ----Andy Fusco
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
        Not having heard, I took advantage of a nice day for a trip over to Passumpsic to verify the existence and location of this caboose. it is still standing and immediately recognizable as No.2 by the metal sheathing and the truck placement. When closer the red paint is also obvious but nowhere could I discern a reporting mark.

        When we first arrived on the grounds we didn't notice it anywhere around, because it isn't. It is in a storage location, on track at the southeast corner of the pasture in which the operation lies. After leaving the gate, heading south on Rte 5, I caught sight of it at the back of the field; again the sheathing identifies it as FJ&G.

        Is it restorable? Yes, by the most dedicated and skilled of wood workers, who happen to have disposable income for the project. It needs substantial woodwork.

        Uploaded to the "photos" section are a few images I snapped, first from the highway and secondly as I determined it was not unwise to walk in to its location.

        Now can anyone locate No. 1 from the Sandy Creek, Rail City museum and advise whether No. 3 still exists. Please take a few photos for the group.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011