Re: [FJGRailroad] Caboose No. 2

  • Rail Lists
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
      I expect I'll be up in Passumsic in sept--they are having an open house

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 24, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      Years ago I called the museum in Shelburne one time when I was heading
      to Rutland. They told me back then that the caboose had been moved to
      "Rail City" just outside Albany.. would have been mid '80s. When I
      first got on the internet back in 1998ish I liked for Rail City and only
      found that they had closed years earlier with no indication of what
      happened to their collection.

      Paul :-)

      On 24/08/2011 12:59 PM, Paul wrote:
      > There is currently a slide of caboose No. 2 at its fourth home taken
      > in 1985. I didn't realize it had been removed from the Shelburne
      > Museum that far back. For what it is worth, from the background I
      > think I know where this photo was shot so, when I get a day I'll take
      > a run over there to confirm and advise.
      >
      > However, in the meantime, if someone is in Vermont traveling route 5,
      > south of St. Johnsbury, near Passumpsic and happens to have an
      > opportunity to look, maybe you will save me a trip by verifying
      > whether or not the caboose is still there. And you could share a few
      > photos with the group.
      >
      > PKL

    • A. Fusco
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2011
        Dear FJ&Gers: For reasons unknown, I'm still having trouble be able to
        post on the Yahoo site. Please accept this email as a sub in the
        meantime.

        I saw #2 when it was at Rail City in about 1989. It was in deplorable
        condition, and quite frankly I didn't recognize it as #2 at the time.
        It was re-painted in a color closer to brown than red and was devoid of
        readable lettering. I only came to realize that was #2 when the Rail
        City rolling stock was auctioned off over a dozen years ago. The
        Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper covered the auction and identified the
        bobber as ex-FJ&G #2. The paper said that it was purchased at the
        auction by a Connecticut collector who also owned #1, and that he
        intended to restore #2 back to FJ&G livery.

        The newspaper did not state his name or address, or even whether the
        place that he stores his collection is in Connecticut, or somewhere
        else.

        See you guys in October for the get-together. ----Andy Fusco
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
          Not having heard, I took advantage of a nice day for a trip over to Passumpsic to verify the existence and location of this caboose. it is still standing and immediately recognizable as No.2 by the metal sheathing and the truck placement. When closer the red paint is also obvious but nowhere could I discern a reporting mark.

          When we first arrived on the grounds we didn't notice it anywhere around, because it isn't. It is in a storage location, on track at the southeast corner of the pasture in which the operation lies. After leaving the gate, heading south on Rte 5, I caught sight of it at the back of the field; again the sheathing identifies it as FJ&G.

          Is it restorable? Yes, by the most dedicated and skilled of wood workers, who happen to have disposable income for the project. It needs substantial woodwork.

          Uploaded to the "photos" section are a few images I snapped, first from the highway and secondly as I determined it was not unwise to walk in to its location.

          Now can anyone locate No. 1 from the Sandy Creek, Rail City museum and advise whether No. 3 still exists. Please take a few photos for the group.

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011