Re: [FJGRailroad] Caboose No. 2

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
      Hi All,

      Years ago I called the museum in Shelburne one time when I was heading
      to Rutland. They told me back then that the caboose had been moved to
      "Rail City" just outside Albany.. would have been mid '80s. When I
      first got on the internet back in 1998ish I liked for Rail City and only
      found that they had closed years earlier with no indication of what
      happened to their collection.

      Paul :-)

      On 24/08/2011 12:59 PM, Paul wrote:
      > There is currently a slide of caboose No. 2 at its fourth home taken
      > in 1985. I didn't realize it had been removed from the Shelburne
      > Museum that far back. For what it is worth, from the background I
      > think I know where this photo was shot so, when I get a day I'll take
      > a run over there to confirm and advise.
      >
      > However, in the meantime, if someone is in Vermont traveling route 5,
      > south of St. Johnsbury, near Passumpsic and happens to have an
      > opportunity to look, maybe you will save me a trip by verifying
      > whether or not the caboose is still there. And you could share a few
      > photos with the group.
      >
      > PKL
    • Gordon Davis
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
        The only 'Rail City' I know of was quite a distance from Albany.....Sandy Pond on Lake Ontario nearer to Syracuse.  By the '80s it was basically defunct and within the last decade the inventory (read relics) were auctioned off.  I don't remember any FJ&G caboose as being part of the collection.
        Gordon D.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
          Caboose No. 1, the four wheel bobber, was acquired by Rail City for their collection.  No. 2's location in the photo has some ofteh characteristics of another rail equipment collection here in VT.  I had also heard the 2 went to this location but ... ?

          PKL

          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          From: gdavis4@...
          Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:23:41 -0400

          The only 'Rail City' I know of was quite a distance from Albany.....Sandy Pond on Lake Ontario nearer to Syracuse.  By the '80s it was basically defunct and within the last decade the inventory (read relics) were auctioned off.  I don't remember any FJ&G caboose as being part of the collection.
          Gordon D.
          Years ago I called the museum in Shelburne one time when I was heading
          to Rutland. They told me back then that the caboose had been moved to
          "Rail City" just outside Albany.. would have been mid '80s. When I
          first got on the internet back in 1998ish I liked for Rail City and only
          found that they had closed years earlier with no indication of what
          happened to their collection.

          Paul :-)

          On 24/08/2011 12:59 PM, Paul wrote:
          > There is currently a slide of caboose No. 2 at its fourth home taken
          > in 1985. I didn't realize it had been removed from the Shelburne
          > Museum that far back. For what it is worth, from the background I
          > think I know where this photo was shot so, when I get a day I'll take
          > a run over there to confirm and advise.
          >
          > However, in the meantime, if someone is in Vermont traveling route 5,
          > south of St. Johnsbury, near Passumpsic and happens to have an
          > opportunity to look, maybe you will save me a trip by verifying
          > whether or not the caboose is still there. And you could share a few
          > photos with the group.
          >
          > PKL

        • Gordon Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
            The only caboose(s) that I remember at Rail City were an ex-NYC one and Perry's Pride from the Grasse River.  The Central one was part of their train operation.
            Gordon

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: gdavis4@...
            Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:23:41 -0400

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
              There are photos of No. 1 at Rail City.

              PKL

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: gdavis4@...
              Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:53:08 -0400

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: gdavis4@...
              Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:23:41 -0400

              The only 'Rail City' I know of was quite a distance from Albany.....Sandy Pond on Lake Ontario nearer to Syracuse.  By the '80s it was basically defunct and within the last decade the inventory (read relics) were auctioned off.  I don't remember any FJ&G caboose as being part of the collection.
              Gordon D.
              Years ago I called the museum in Shelburne one time when I was heading
              to Rutland. They told me back then that the caboose had been moved to
              "Rail City" just outside Albany.. would have been mid '80s. When I
              first got on the internet back in 1998ish I liked for Rail City and only
              found that they had closed years earlier with no indication of what
              happened to their collection.

              Paul :-)

              On 24/08/2011 12:59 PM, Paul wrote:
              > There is currently a slide of caboose No. 2 at its fourth home taken
              > in 1985. I didn't realize it had been removed from the Shelburne
              > Museum that far back. For what it is worth, from the background I
              > think I know where this photo was shot so, when I get a day I'll take
              > a run over there to confirm and advise.
              >
              > However, in the meantime, if someone is in Vermont traveling route 5,
              > south of St. Johnsbury, near Passumpsic and happens to have an
              > opportunity to look, maybe you will save me a trip by verifying
              > whether or not the caboose is still there. And you could share a few
              > photos with the group.
              >
              > PKL

            • Rail Lists
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 24, 2011
                I expect I'll be up in Passumsic in sept--they are having an open house

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Aug 24, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:

                Hi All,

                Years ago I called the museum in Shelburne one time when I was heading
                to Rutland. They told me back then that the caboose had been moved to
                "Rail City" just outside Albany.. would have been mid '80s. When I
                first got on the internet back in 1998ish I liked for Rail City and only
                found that they had closed years earlier with no indication of what
                happened to their collection.

                Paul :-)

                On 24/08/2011 12:59 PM, Paul wrote:
                > There is currently a slide of caboose No. 2 at its fourth home taken
                > in 1985. I didn't realize it had been removed from the Shelburne
                > Museum that far back. For what it is worth, from the background I
                > think I know where this photo was shot so, when I get a day I'll take
                > a run over there to confirm and advise.
                >
                > However, in the meantime, if someone is in Vermont traveling route 5,
                > south of St. Johnsbury, near Passumpsic and happens to have an
                > opportunity to look, maybe you will save me a trip by verifying
                > whether or not the caboose is still there. And you could share a few
                > photos with the group.
                >
                > PKL

              • A. Fusco
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2011
                  Dear FJ&Gers: For reasons unknown, I'm still having trouble be able to
                  post on the Yahoo site. Please accept this email as a sub in the
                  meantime.

                  I saw #2 when it was at Rail City in about 1989. It was in deplorable
                  condition, and quite frankly I didn't recognize it as #2 at the time.
                  It was re-painted in a color closer to brown than red and was devoid of
                  readable lettering. I only came to realize that was #2 when the Rail
                  City rolling stock was auctioned off over a dozen years ago. The
                  Syracuse Post-Standard newspaper covered the auction and identified the
                  bobber as ex-FJ&G #2. The paper said that it was purchased at the
                  auction by a Connecticut collector who also owned #1, and that he
                  intended to restore #2 back to FJ&G livery.

                  The newspaper did not state his name or address, or even whether the
                  place that he stores his collection is in Connecticut, or somewhere
                  else.

                  See you guys in October for the get-together. ----Andy Fusco
                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2011
                    Not having heard, I took advantage of a nice day for a trip over to Passumpsic to verify the existence and location of this caboose. it is still standing and immediately recognizable as No.2 by the metal sheathing and the truck placement. When closer the red paint is also obvious but nowhere could I discern a reporting mark.

                    When we first arrived on the grounds we didn't notice it anywhere around, because it isn't. It is in a storage location, on track at the southeast corner of the pasture in which the operation lies. After leaving the gate, heading south on Rte 5, I caught sight of it at the back of the field; again the sheathing identifies it as FJ&G.

                    Is it restorable? Yes, by the most dedicated and skilled of wood workers, who happen to have disposable income for the project. It needs substantial woodwork.

                    Uploaded to the "photos" section are a few images I snapped, first from the highway and secondly as I determined it was not unwise to walk in to its location.

                    Now can anyone locate No. 1 from the Sandy Creek, Rail City museum and advise whether No. 3 still exists. Please take a few photos for the group.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 7, 2011