RE: [FJGRailroad] Trolley #29

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2011
      To Whom it may conecern,
      I might have a site in Fulton County where some type of enclosure could be built to store the car as an interim step.

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:11:22 -0400
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Trolley #29

      Good morning Jerry,

      Thanks for the information.  Kelly has been looping me on some of her correspondence relative to the trolley.  Yes it is unfortunate that there are no funds; I understand fully what she is up against there.  We are out of money in our town having greatly overspent the available funds to provide relief during the Lake Champlain high water event.  We have no rivers or major streams through our town but several miles of lakeshore that has been beaten by wind and waves from a lake more than a foot higher than it has ever been in recorded, and I dare same, human history.  Fortunately we are a FEMA compliant town so there is some hope of recovery of the municipal expenses.

      Hopefully the state will take the 29's carcass otherwise I fear it may be determined it has no particular value and will be allowed to deteriorate if not out right destroyed.  It's a shame but the price of preservation is paid by the folks who truly believe in it.  If I had a garage large enough, I'd offer to put it in there, stabilize and repair what exists and set on a goal of recreating the missing pieces.  This is however a project for a twenty something with desire, ambition and the life time to devote to its restoration.  Ifthe state takes it I believe a few more years will be avaailable for decision making relative restoration.

      As I am rereading this it occurs to me there is a building, former truck shop behind us here that could hold the trolley indefinitely if I were to acquire the property, 250K for three acres, a house the garage and other buildings.  Alas, while I'd like to take the property I'm not young enough to see any long term benefit from tying up loose assets in it.  Would be nice to have a trolley squirreled away for someone to discover some day.

      Paul

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: handyman756@...
      Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:55:10 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Trolley #29

      FYI,
      Montgomery County has contacted the state museum in Albany about #29 asking for suggestions as to how to proceed with it given that the county has neither the money nor resources to restore it. Obviously, if nothing is done with it it will continue to deteriorate, and giving it to the museum could provide a chance for it to be preserved in some manner (or at least stored under better conditions). I would personally prefer to see it remain on "home turf" but efforts to find a local home for it indoors where it can be worked on have not been successful, and BOCES is not interested.
      I do not have any further details at this time but will be in Fonda next Thursday or Friday and will keep you posted on what I find out.
      Jerry