Leader Herald Photo

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2011
      On the LH Facebook wall there is a photo of Main Street in Gloversville looking south toward the four corners circa 1930. The trolley tracks are visible, but it is not possible to tell if the overhead is still in place. Which leads too my question is what year did the rails come up and was the Beltline route left in place after service ended.

      --
      Saul B. Kalbfeld
      Detroit Motion Picture Studio Mechanics Local 812 IATSE

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2011
        Hello Saul,

        The last Gloversville Belt Line car ran on July 13, 1929; the last day a local car operated between Johnstown and Gloversville was August 13, 1930.  Car No. 63 made the last run with Ernest Baker as motorman (badge no. 38).

        The removal of the local line's tracks began the next work day in Johnstown, on North Perry St. from Maple Avenue to Main Stree.  The tracks in North Perry St. from Maple to the city line, East and West Main and William Streets were covered with asphalt.  The Belt Line tracks on East Fulton and N. Main in Gloversville were also covered over during August of 1930.  Right now I do not know when the tracks in the Boulevards, Kingsboro Ave. and State St. were covered or removed.  Nor can I say what happened to the tracks in South Main Street Gloversville.

        The overhead wires and supports were removed during the late summer and fall of 1930.

        PKL

        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 24, 2011
          Saul,

          The rails are still under many of the streets in Gloversville. A few years ago there was a water main issue of some type near the post office in Gloversville on N. Main St. The city crews had to rip up the street to get at the problem, but had no clue they would be hitting railroad tracks before they could get to the water main. I recall hearing, second hand, that the city crews questioned why anyone would build railroad tracks under a street like that. Few remember that the trolleys ever existed.