Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Conrail Fonda Local

  • Mark Wilber
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
      I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt sharp thirty years later.

      From: mwilber2001@...
      Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:26:44 -0700

      We've worked Fonda yard before while Conrail was working there.There were times that we weren't permitted into the yard due to they might have been working in the west end of the yard.

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
        Mark,

        Great info on how things worked in Fonda. Thanks for sharing.

        As long as your digging into your memory were you around when 103 was painted. Was that painted in the Gloversville shop? I know the 103 came to Gloversville unpainted but then it showed up painted one day. Was wondering where the work got done.

        Thanks

        John

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

        > I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we
        > had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear
        > the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we
        > were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt
        > sharp thirty years later.

      • Mark Wilber
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
          That was painted in the paint shop in Gloversville.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
            There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: mwilber2001@...
            Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

            We didnt talk  to the Conrail dispatcher for permission.We talked with our dispatcher if there were any questions.Mostly during the day we would stop in front of the Fonda office and talk with the Yardmaster for permission.At night or during the day if the yardmaster wasnt around,we were on our own (couldnt do that now days).There was a wooden box attached to the office that would have our waybills or instructions for our pickup or our drop off.Our interchanges were mostly done on the west end of the yard.

            Did you guys talk with the Conrail dispatch on your cab radios?  How did you know you weren't permitted to enter the yard?  What was the normal procedure for permission?

            Gino

            --
            http://fjgrr.org
            http://ginosrailpage.com

          • Mark Wilber
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
              Yep,first name was Harry, forgot his last name.He was in charge of Fonda and Amsterdam yards.

              There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              From: mwilber2001@...
              Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                Harry Dumar!

                To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                From: mwilber2001@...
                Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                  Thats it! Harry Dumar.  Is he still alive?  If so,he has to be 90 years old.

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mwilber2001@...
                  Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011