Re: Old Irons

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22 7:41 PM
      >On The Steamer front, weren't some engines converted to diesel
      >engines?

      Not that I'm aware of. I don't even think coal-burners could be converted
      to oil-burners.

      >Does anyone know the tractive effort of the steam engines the FJ&G used?
      >Couldn't have been very much if the S-2's could replace them.

      I think I may have a list somewhere at home, but I'm not sure I can put my
      finger on it over vacation.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22 8:02 PM
        Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
        during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22 8:10 PM
          >Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil
          (bunker-C)
          >during the forties because it was more cost efficient.

          Hadn't heard of that; thanks for telling me.

          -Aaron
        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 23 1:10 AM
            > From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
            >
            > Actually, CN and CP, and I'm sure many others converted coal to oil (bunker-C)
            > during the forties because it was more cost efficient.
            >
            > Paul

            That's what I meant, not diesel!

            Gino
          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 23 7:31 AM
              I can check out my stuff Peter, but I think most of their steamers
              were scrapped. I'll have to look at home many were sold. Those
              I couldn't tell you what happened to them. I'm sure Aaron has some
              info on this...

              Gino

            • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 23 7:51 AM

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 23 12:35 PM
                  As far as I can tell, all the FJ&G steam locomotives are scrapped. Parts
                  from the S2s were re-used on some NYS&W equipment. The 44-ton #30 is still
                  in operation on the Burlington Junction Railway in Burlington, Iowa. The
                  gas car, 340, was eventually sold to some sort of museum in Manitoba but I
                  can't find any record of it still existing. That's about all I can mention;
                  of course leaving out other equipment that we've already discussed on-list.