Re: Conrail Fonda Local

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
      I looked up VD-7 and it was an early Conrail symbol (carryover from Penn Central)used prior to the alpha symbols Conrail later used. It ran from Selkirk to Dewitt serving all the small yards in between including both Amsterdam and Fonda.

      Mark, did you guys ever work Fonda the same time as the Amsterdam switcher or a road job was dropping or were you guys usually in the yard when they were not.

      John

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

      > I also remember a conrail train VD-7 making drops.

    • Mark Wilber
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
        We've worked Fonda yard before while Conrail was working there.There were times that we weren't permitted into the yard due to they might have been working in the west end of the yard.

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
          Ive seen as many as three drop of cars in one day in Fonda.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
            That begs the question, How did you guys get into the Fonda Yard? I take it from your comment that you had to call someone to get permission to enter the yard.

            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            From: mwilber2001@...
            Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:26:44 -0700
            Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Conrail Fonda Local

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 18, 2011
              Mark,

              Did you guys talk with the Conrail dispatch on your cab radios?  How did you know you weren't permitted to enter the yard?  What was the normal procedure for permission?

              Gino

              --
              http://fjgrr.org
              http://ginosrailpage.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                We didnt talk  to the Conrail dispatcher for permission.We talked with our dispatcher if there were any questions.Mostly during the day we would stop in front of the Fonda office and talk with the Yardmaster for permission.At night or during the day if the yardmaster wasnt around,we were on our own (couldnt do that now days).There was a wooden box attached to the office that would have our waybills or instructions for our pickup or our drop off.Our interchanges were mostly done on the west end of the yard.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                  I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt sharp thirty years later.

                  To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mwilber2001@...
                  Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:26:44 -0700

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                    Mark,

                    Great info on how things worked in Fonda. Thanks for sharing.

                    As long as your digging into your memory were you around when 103 was painted. Was that painted in the Gloversville shop? I know the 103 came to Gloversville unpainted but then it showed up painted one day. Was wondering where the work got done.

                    Thanks

                    John

                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

                    > I TAKE THAT BACK, we use to talk with the yardmaster if he was around,if not we
                    > had to use the phone in our engine house to call the dispatcher. When we clear
                    > the yard and heading up the hill,we called our dispatcher to call Conrail. If we
                    > were putting our locomotive away,we'd call on the phone ourselves. My mind isnt
                    > sharp thirty years later.

                  • Mark Wilber
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                      That was painted in the paint shop in Gloversville.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                        There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

                        To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mwilber2001@...
                        Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                          Yep,first name was Harry, forgot his last name.He was in charge of Fonda and Amsterdam yards.

                          There was a Conrail Fonda Yardmaster? I had no idea.....

                          To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mwilber2001@...
                          Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                            Harry Dumar!

                            To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mwilber2001@...
                            Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011
                              Thats it! Harry Dumar.  Is he still alive?  If so,he has to be 90 years old.

                              To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              From: mwilber2001@...
                              Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:59:39 -0700

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 19, 2011